Plz help 1998 vmax wont run without choke

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldo123

Reaction score
hi , please can someone on this earth help me getting this vmax running correct? . i bought a damaged vmax around 6 months ago it was pretty bad the front wheel was crushed flat into the front of the engine, so me being a fabricator decided to fix it and now its as good as new, anyway the bike will start with the choke on but as soon as i try to twist the throttle it dies, iv had the carbs professional cleaned by yamaha and replaced all the rubbers ie carb rubbers vboost rubbers, renewed all diaphrams in the carbs, changed the plugs, fuel pump and relay fine, fuel tank cleaned inside, fresh fuel , new coils , new air filter, v boost opening and closing perfect, new fuel filter any ideas folks iv been pulling my hair out for months with this, im thinking it could be the ecu ( does the bike have a kind of advance ignition so when you throttle it the ignition advances maybe?) ps iv been into bikes all my life and can usualy get them going but iv ran out of ideas with this one , my friend has an L reg vmax would it be possible to try his ecu on my bike or is there difference
my bikes a 1998 vmax with only 3000 miles , and was running perfect until the smash it runs ok with full choke but when chokes of it dies , and wont rev up at all it just bogs and dies

ps, i live in glasgow so anyone is more than welcome to come up and have a look plenty tea and biscuits or ill pick you up cheers folks

Welcome to the VMF! I'd love to come have tea, biscuits and look at the bike, but it might be pretty costly for me to get there! I know you had the carbs done, but it sounds like somethings plugged to me. Try the shotgun and peashooter, and see what happens!

the best way to find out if the carbs is the problem is to find a friend with a v-max and swap the carbs. if it starts then you should look somewhere else ....(for example the rubbers that the carbs are on..should be tight. the same goes for the filter box. the plastic covers that you put the carb gauge to allign the carbs should be ok and no air goes through the holes that they cover)

Try draining the carbs into a clean Cup or Jar. If you find some small black particles in what comes out of one, you're moving in the right direction... Sounds like some trash got into one or more low speed circuits... Screws are on the right side of each carb and the black hose that sticks out under each carb is the drain hose for each one...

Good Luck and Welcome to the VMax Forum....

It still sounds like a carb issue not the ecu. I know you said they were rebuilt but ask the guy that did it how far he ripped them down. Did he clean out all the jets? Search for the method called shiotgun, to clear out your jets and try that.

it still sounds like a carb issue not the ecu. I know you said they were rebuilt but ask the guy that did it how far he ripped them down. Did he clean out all the jets? Search for the method called shiotgun, to clear out your jets and try that.

the shotgun method carb cleaning ? Plz tell me what this is as i have searched the web and the only thing that comes up is- 12 bore shotgun/ pump action shotgun etc etc

the shotgun method carb cleaning ? Plz tell me what this is as i have searched the web and the only thing that comes up is- 12 bore shotgun/ pump action shotgun etc etc

Like the other guys said....I'd give this a try before going any further, when I hear the words 'professionally cleaned' I get a little nervous....just can't trust anyone else to do this job.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Won't run without choke = For sure the carbs, Go to our carb tuning section and just start browsing this subject and you'll find a lot of info to get you started.....Do search on THIS forum for shotgun or peashooter too, I think there is a sticky in the carb section on how to do them.....

ps, i live in glasgow so anyone is more than welcome to come up and have a look plenty tea and biscuits or ill pick you up cheers folks

I'd ensure the carbs are synced first, then check your idle adjustment, then as above, it might be clogged up carb / carbs. I am sending you a PM too about some fabricating you might be able to help me with :worthy:

is there anyone near Glasgow willing to come and let me try their carbs on my bike plz plz plz!!!!

Have you tried a post on V Max Chat?

would it be possible to try his ecu on my bike or is there difference

Assuming your mates bike is a '93 - '94 then the ignition unit will be the same as your '98.
However, it might be easier to swap his carbs than the ignition unit!

There is a MAP sensor which controls the ignition advance and senses vacuum from the LH front inlet stub.
If you have access to a donor bike then it might be worthwhile swapping this as well?

Back