Popping out of 1st gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightsmith

Reaction score
I keep hearing about the second gear problems, but it seems like I am having the same problem in first. If I get on the throttle, it pops and jumps pretty good.

Second seems to be perfectly solid.

Is this just another variation of the same problem?

Oh, the bike is an 86 if that makes a difference.

I am vry interested in the 1500cc emgine. :worthy:Right now I have a 1200 but I have no idea on how to acquire one and can they be switched out with the 1200 engine ?? and what they cost . I`m also looking at the V-Gas carbouration system and the cornell quadzilla exhaust system. right now with what I have done to mine, it sounds like a built small block but I want more.:biglaugh: can anybody help me out with some info.??
<<<< Dave >>>>>>>>>>>

The 1500 fits and looks the same as your stock engine as all the work is done internally. I would take your 1200 in on trade towards the 1500 if you are interested. You can use the v-gas, reg flatslides, or stock carbs. I also have an exhaust we made for that engine that I can sell with it. It's a very large tube system and does sound killer. We need to clean it up still (we didn't have a chance to coat it yet). I think a few of the guys liked the sound and look of it.

Feel free to call me if you want. 316-619-8411
Sean

Thank you for that but I was still wondering about the price range that I would be looking at.:ummm:
The ufo pipes are nice and you can keep the center stand also, is that the same set up as yours ? I just started an online job witch I hope will be a profitable one.
It`s time to play Dr.Frankenstien.
I also wanted to know about about the performance difference as to stock carbs w/ v-boost as to the v-gas and no v-boost.
any insight on this from a pro would be GREATLY appreciated.
I have owned mostly Hondas and thi is my first VMax.

Getting ready to head out. Will try to post more info later. Looking at $6000 outright for the shaft drive engine with plain covers (more for chrome). Would give $1000 trade in for good running engine. My exhaust was custom made by us and should have no problem clearing the centerstand.

Stock carbs get more fuel economy and decent power. The flats tend to make better power up top and sometimes midrange but you can't just wack it open most of the time. Vgas has problems working above 120mph or so due to fuel being sucked out of the carbs.

Best to call if you get a chance,
Sean

Thank you Sean for the information and for giving me something to save up for . :eusa_dance: my 1200 engine runs strong and with the plastic "Y" removed from the air box and the mixture screws opened up to 3 1/2 turns she
sounds and runs mean with the hole shot slip ons.
Dale Walker told me himself that if it runs good then to run it like that.
No more popping or burping when I whack the throttle open :clapping:.
Just pure accelleration and power:biglaugh:.

P.S.:: I will try to call you soon.

Yeah Sean, I figured that it was probably that same problem.

Call it wishful thinking, I was hoping for a 'Oh, thats not big problem. You just need a shim that takes 5 minutes to install'

LOL

Whats the best way to fix this, short of replacing the motor?

I'm an auto mechanic, but I dont ever get down into transmissions. Just replace them as units. Of course I do have a fairly extensive tool box.

thanks

Greg

removing the engine isn't all that bad and you only need to split the case (again not all that bad). You don't have to remove the upper half of the engine to get what you need. We have done this repair from start to finish (running to running) in under 12 hours (going to dinner in between). You can obviously take more time and not rush it. Of course you can always upgrade the engine while you are at it too!

Sean

Did I read somewhere that you have an entire tranny setup with undercut gears and an OD 5th, Sean?

It sounds like the perfect setup.

Yes, we offer transmission upgrades and repair and even have an overdrive 5th gear option. The full service with undercut gears and overdrive 5th runs $800 exchange. I don't normally stock them ready to go but it doesn't take long to get a set ready.

Sean

Latest posts

Back