Possible new owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numax

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to take a look at a 2001 VMAX tomorrow. He is asking $1500 for it. I don't know the history yet. He says it is running but has cosmetic issues, but not specific. What should I look for mechanically for this model and year?

Mike

1500 for an '01 is seriously cheap. Either it's blown or it's crashed or there's something very wrong at that price.

Check everything you would on any other bike - there aren't really any '01 and up issues that I can think of..

go look, take lots of pictures, be aware like you would on any bike, and then post a bunch of them up here.

how many miles?

Yeah... I smell scam but it may have been put down too. 1500 for an '01 is about 3000 shy of what a pretty clean one would go for.

Let us know and show us pics. We can help!

Chris

Take a gun with you, might be a total scammer looking to rob somebody

or just bring a couple burly friends...

where's the ad?

Found out that is is a '98. I'll bring my Pit with me. 43k miles I'll take pics as well and post tomorrow.

thanks

if it was ridden well and taken care of 43k miles isn't THAT high. that could explain the price.

if its rideable, aside from che3cking all the normal stuff, make sure u can run it HARD thru all the gears, esp 2nd, and make sure it doesn't pop out.

it is actually a 1997, no scam. he wouldn't budge on the price. no matter. I put a deposit on it and will be riding it home today. i'll have pics by this weekend and a lot of questions.

I ran it hard in 1st and 2nd didn't pop out of gear. the brakes are a little spongy but work fine. just some minor cosmetic things like metal parts needing polishing and cleaning up. no leaks. it started right up cold once he found the key. has title in hand and registered until July of next year.

did he give any other reason for why selling so cheap? congrads by the way!

glad to hear about the gears. u may have found a steal!

ur def gonna want to put new fluid, plugs, etc in EVERYTHING. esp the final drive, very easily overlooked. i'd also get a valve job done unless the seller has a receipt of it done in the last 10k miles.

Brought it home on Friday. no issues that i could see with a closer inspection. ran fine. he removed the exhaust "baffles". said i could use rivets to reattach them. here are a couple of pics. there is oxidation on some parts. no oil leaks i could see on the engine. anyone know where i can get the backrest for it. how much would a valve job be?

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 21
Brought it home on Friday. no issues that i could see with a closer inspection. ran fine. he removed the exhaust "baffles". said i could use rivets to reattach them. here are a couple of pics. there is oxidation on some parts. no oil leaks i could see on the engine. anyone know where i can get the backrest for it. how much would a valve job be?

the yama one is tough to find. HAC makes a detachable. I've been extremely happy with my renntec. its not easily removable but comes with a luggage rack.

look to spend about $300 - $400 for the yamaha one.

valve job? do u trust the dealer/shop? if u can't say "without a doubt" i'd ask who's in your area that has done it before, and see if a 12 pack or so would help sweeten the deal.

also looks pretty nice, great deal all things considered!

That's a sweet deal my man! Best price I've seen for a while. Looks like it sat outside but that isn't anything some TLC can't cure.

Good luck!
Chris

No need for a valve job until it gets to about 100,000 miles.

Sean

That's a sweet deal my man! Best price I've seen for a while. Looks like it sat outside but that isn't anything some TLC can't cure.

Good luck!
Chris

Yup. I'd have picked that one up for that price.... :confused2:

Latest posts

Back