Problems on the 85 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxRider85

Reaction score
hey guys has a question.. a couple actually

just took the 85 out on a nice rip in upstate ny 55 today im holding the throttle at about 4000 rpms and i hear a put put sounds like little misses on the bike but the bike runs great at idle and has the power when i give it gas no lag and vboost works great... last year i changed the front two coils bc they died and with the bike be 26 years old im thinking about changing the back coils under the seat. now my first question is how can i check them to see if there actually bad ? or if they are in the range on a meter? i run dpr8eas in the bike i gap them to spec in the clymer book and run nology hot wires on the bike. it runs great i just think its the coils getting to be old and are getting to the point of losing them.. i dont want the chance of them cutting out and being stuck on two cylinders. ahhh!!!

my second question is dose anyone have coils for sale? :):hippy biker:

Mate,

Hopefully someone will have the link on this one.
Cruising at exactly 4000rpm is a testing point with the circuits in the carbs.
It's more likely to be a carb problem from what you describe. Maybe the experts have something to say on it.

Also, when you are cruising at 4000rpm, does it feel like someone is tugging on the rear grab bar? Like an invisible giant is slowing you down every few seconds?

That sounds pretty much nuts when I read it back... :rofl_200:

Oh, and look into the COP modification. It's all over this forum.
Flick the original coils.

Indeed we all like the COPs upgrade (Coils Over Plugs). They are modern technology that replaces the old ones and does away with the HT wires.

One member here (Gannon - 88vmx12) offers a conversion kit that is totally 'plug n play', not that expensive and super-easy to fit, as well as being absolutely top quality. It comes with 4 x s/h COPs and all the necessary wiring.

BUT, your problem sounds more like a lean condition, usually remedied by 'shimming the needles' - that is to add a very small washer (0.4mm) under the needle clips in order to raise them ever so slightly, allowing a little more fuel through in the cruising range.

COP'S +3, If you ever need to change one it'll be a 5 minute job instead of a tow. My bike never ran or started better with COPs and Gannon's wiring kit.
Steve-o

i pulled the plugs and checked the carbs everything is burning good and its running ok i think the rear coils are just so old 26+ years i think its time for new ones i changed the front ones about 2 years ago and the bike ran OK. but i think this will get the kink out of it. any ideas?

Maybe someone here still has a pair of OEM coils for sale from a newer Max? Try emailing Kyle (captainkyle) he is currently breaking an '05.

I would still go for the COPs if I was in your place, but obviously at this stage 2x s/h rear coils may work out cheaper for you.

+4 COPs. it cost me the same amount to replace all four of my coils with a set of COPs, than it would have been if I purchased one new OEM.

PM me I still have the OEMs off of my 2004. We can work something out.

i ended up buying 2 brane new coils for 150 bucks. my buddy owns a yamaha shop. i buy my quads and parts from him so he hooks me up im just waiting hopefully they will be here on thursday and i can rip the bike!!

Latest posts

Back