Pulling Carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
Since I'm performing some winter maintenance ( http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=58013#post58013 ) I figure I will check the float levels. The main reason for checking the float level is I have crappy mileage, about 24-27mpg. I've re-jetted from 160 that the po had in there to 150's. Also a strong fuel smell at idle and while riding.

My question is about the throttle cables. Is there anything I should know that makes it easier?

Mine's an '86 too, and all I ever get is 95 miles from a full tank to the red reserve light. :damn angry: That's with a Venture diff too (-500rpm in all gears for equivalent speed) and mostly highway miles at around 85 mph. If I use the V-boost regularly I've seen as little as 75-80 miles out of a tank.

I have cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, set the float levels on the bench (they were only very slightly off), did the COPs mod, and am using stock jets and exhausts - the only upgrade is a K&N air filter. None of the above has made any difference whatsoever to my mpg figures.

I have no idea how some people here are getting 120 miles before reserve regularly, unless they are using the "gran'ma" riding technique. :ummm:

The only other thing I'm thinking could help is adjusting my valves - at 40k miles they must be due for a checkup.. :confused2:

I do think that with SuperTrapps though, from what I've read here you would benefit from lower jet sizes - try sizes in the 140s.
Also, what are your A/F screws set to? If you're so rich they may well be too far out - I'm only 2.5 turns out here with 152.5 and stock exhaust.

Maybe I'm just too heavy handed. I love the boost. AF screws are at 2.5. I'm hoping the float levels are off, at least to get rid of the smell.

I took the carbs and vboost manifold off today. I noticed that 2 of the bolt holes for the boost manifold leak oil. I remember another thread talking about this so no big surprise. I can't remember if I need any special sealant to plug the holes when I re-assemble or not. They seem to have some kind of sealer in there.

If anybody remembers, let me know.

thanks

I found the post where Shawn Kloker mentions using silicone to seal the holes.

Silicone is ok, but I think permatex #2 is even better & it's available everywhere. just my 2c

Back