Questions regarding stage 7 kit.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
I have two carb racks sitting on my table. One came on the bike, one came off the bike.

The second set MIGHT have a stage 7 kit installed. I looked at the needle sticky and the stage 7 needle looks identical to mine.
However, the main jets or needles have no identifying marks of any kind. The bike doesnt have the breather setup, the main air jet is same as stock, the pilot air jet is same, the correctors are same as stock, everything is same as the stock carb except the needles and the spring inside the slide is longer.

Also, while the main jets look different in casting, comparing them side by side shows they have the same orifice. However, my eyes could deceive me but I have a good eye for symmetry.

Whats going on?

post some pics we'll take a peak. all jets should have numbering on them.

Damnit, I knew I should taken a pic, I buttoned up the carbs. I tested the orifice sizes by sticking a toothpick in both, it stops in the same spot on both.

Its like some sort of half assed stage 7 kit involving only the needle.

i don't know of a toothpick is an accurate gauge for such tiny holes....

Youre probably right. I also laid them end to end and looked straight through into a light to see if theres any overlap from one to the other, and there was none.

Other theory is the older jets didnt have numbers cast into them to prevent tweaking.

What is the purpose of a stiffer/longer slide spring?

Thanks for the help gamorg, I thought this f'ing project was gonna be easy.

longer stiffer spring will keep the slide down longer, causing it to run leaner.

longer stiffer spring will keep the slide down longer, causing it to run leaner.

Any reason why the dynojet kit includes those? Should I use em?

The jets that "have no identifying marks" are 165 jets. I took them out this morning and examined them with a magnifying glass. The numbers are written on the side not the top and I didnt notice this last night. I assume this means its DJ165.

Now I just need to order one more, I lost one. :(:(:( :cry:

I guess I need to get it from dynojet because there is no mikuni equivalent according to http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm.

HOWEVER, Maybe I can get a close equivalent from Mikuni.

Maybe I should order DJ175 or equivalent because the bike has a full kerker on it?

Any reason why the dynojet kit includes those? Should I use em?

The jets that "have no identifying marks" are 165 jets. I took them out this morning and examined them with a magnifying glass. The numbers are written on the side not the top and I didnt notice this last night. I assume this means its DJ165.

Now I just need to order one more, I lost one. :(:(:( :cry:

I guess I need to get it from dynojet because there is no mikuni equivalent according to http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm.

HOWEVER, Maybe I can get a close equivalent from Mikuni.

Maybe I should order DJ175 or equivalent because the bike has a full kerker on it?

not sure what a stage 7 comes with the but i THOUGHT stage 7 should have shorter, less stiff springs. you may have the stg7 ones in there already?

i would talk to morley ([email protected]). he can get you a nice gambit of mikuni jets for a decent price and should have them on hand. probably DJ ones as well.

You might be right, working between two banks of carbs leads to a lot of confusion between parts, especially when you dont know whats in them.

Called DJ and emailed Sean(the man, really helpful).

Turns out I have the rest of the parts needed for the DJ kit, like the brass air corrector plugs that, thanks to sean, I didnt need to order.

I ordered a set of 165 and 175 jets and drill bits.

I need the drill bits to modify the stock slides because the slides out of the second carb looked like poopy.

I think I can safely say this issue is resolved.

hahaah think the comp baff is 2.5 outlet and reg is smaller. i got a reg one and its loud, but sport comp is way way louder hahaha :punk:

if sure someone here can give you a better way to find out which one you have

Back