radials purchase questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
If I have missed the info I am asking for in my searches, i apologize. Found some similar posts, but they were several years old.

I have had my 96 for about a month now. Use it as a daily driver for work as much as possible. AVERAGE round trip for work is 160 miles. Hasn't been raining much, so I have put close to 3000 miles on it sience I bought it. Radials- 190/50/17 rear, 110/70/17 front Avon azeras are on it now. Estimate 40% rear, 60% front tread remaining, nice and round not squared or cupped at all at time of purchase.
Front still looks good but back is squared in the middle to the wear indicators. 90% highway riding now. Havent scraped pegs although I like to lean into the interchanges. I dont run triple digit speeds all the time but I will push it when the opportunity presents itself.

Now to my question. Price, performance, and longevity in mind. Looking the perfect tire. Been reading and window shopping but I cant pull the trigger. I need help. I'm just asking for recomendations from experienced maxers. Kinda like the avons and have read 10k miles on a set is not uncommon. Pricey though.
Gimmie the lowdown. Tell me about your goods and bads.

Sorry about the long post. Just want you all to have an idea about my habits.

Metzler Roadtec Z6 are pretty good radial tires on dry and wet.

I got that set after I saw other forums telling how good they were and the amount of miles you could put on them even for heavy bikes such as sport touring.
Few members are using those.

I didn't replace them yet but so far so good.
An advice don't put a 120 on front, that won't be as good as a 110.

Hope it helps.

The Bridgestone BT-016's seem to be very popular with the sportbike crowd. The front is a dual compound and the rear is actually a triple. Hard center with progressively softer ones toward the edge. Heard reports of 6-8k+ on rear tires for "normal" riding yet still a track-day capable tire.

My Z came with a set of nearly new Metz sportech M3's (less than 500 mi). Now I've got around 2000 miles of mostly highway commuting. The rear is barely worn and the front still looks new.

Never had straight touring tires before. How are they on twisties? I would think they last longer, but don't like the idea of having the bike slide out from under me.

Radial tires for heavy bikes, I would look also into the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3.
Feedbacks were even better than for the Metzler and Bridgestone as I remember.

I've got the Pilot Road 3s and just completed about 2k of riding over the past couple of weeks..and as you say the rear is squaring off due to heavy highway riding. Will have to see how long this set lasts. Had M3 Ssportecs before this and they did the same thing.

I just purchased the Michelin Pilot Road 3's after having put on over 10,000 miles on my set of Pilot Road 2's. Towards the end of their life, they started to cup, started about 1,000 miles ago but only became a pain recently. I live in the Sacramento, CA area and do a lot of twisty rides and had no problems with the PR 2's.

Currently running Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 on the Blackbird. As a heavy sport - tourer , I like them very much so far in the twisties and cruising the triples , and were affordable at the local dealer @ $ 220.00 out the door , including tax ( list price was $ 420.00 ) .

Currently running Michelin Pilot Powers on the blue '90 and Michelin 2CT on the C.F. / Black '98 . Both are excellent for such a heavy muscle - cruiser and help the pigs get through the twisties pretty good with help from good suspensions , USD front end , frame braces and great ( Works Street Trackers & 430 Progressive ) shocks . If you keep an eye out , you can pick up good , name brand , radials around Atlanta , for a bit over $ 200 a set.

How wide is your rear wheel & who / mfg. made it ?

Last edited:
According to one of the receipts that came with the bike it is 5.5" smoothie purchased from UFO back in 2004. Strange design because the valve stem is in a square cutout in the wheel, not off to the side like others I have seen. Pain in the ass to check the pressure. Have to set the pressure on the regulator on the compressor cause I can't find a right-angle gauge. Gonna need to fab one before I take a true road trip.

Back