Remove Flyweel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, I can vouch for these guys on having the proper puller. My motor was knocking....sounded like a rod, though it went away at RPM's above 2000. Took the cover off and had a close look......starter clutch bolts were loose.

No, I'm no dummy and have lots of experience wrenching, so I used my trusty blue-point impact to zap out the big bolt.....not a problem.

I grabbed an automotive style harmonic balancer puller....the three small holes in the flywheel lined up with the puller perfectly, and the large bolt in the center fit the center of the crankshaft as well...wow, this was too easy!

Tried everything I could to get the flywheel off....there was no way! Finally one of the three small bolts snapped of in the flywheel with about 1/8" inch sticking out.

Had a heck of a time getting that out of there...welded a few nuts before I got it out.

Put the big bolt back in, re-installed the cover and took it to the dealer......

It cost me a couple hundred bucks, but at least they got the damn thing off. Mechanic said it was a real bear......

PCW puller

Attachments

• flywheel_puller03.jpg
    flywheel_puller03.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 55
Is there suppose to be any play (in/out) on the gear behind the flywheel?

Thanks
If you mean axial play then answer is YES but another question borns: how much?

Most of the v-max engine rotary parts are lubricated with oil pressurize not atomization so bigger clearance here and ther is quite normal.

If you're referring the large starter clutch gear that's held on with 3 x screws with the peened over threads? It should be bolted on tight but Mr Yamaha stupidly bolted it on, punched the threads thinking that will do. Well it doesn't as it's a common problem for them to be loose.
I replaced the screws on mine and used Loctite and some serious muscle to keep them tight.

Back