Removing parts for powder coating??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soovmaxguy

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1985 Vmax and it has had some custom painting and its not my kind of thing.I want to remove the stator cover and was wondering if it comes off when removing the outer bolts or is there more inside to take off? Got to remore the stator cover,water pump cover,clutch cover and drive cover Thanks

I just purchased a 1985 Vmax and it has had some custom painting and its not my kind of thing.I want to remove the stator cover and was wondering if it comes off when removing the outer bolts or is there more inside to take off? Got to remore the stator cover,water pump cover,clutch cover and drive cover Thanks
I am thinking about getting the 4 outer cases powdercoated too. It looks to be a straight job of un-bolting the covers and sending them off to be PC'd. Just need to buy new gaskets for the assembly part of the project. It may pay to check out the starter clutch (starter?) bolts that tend to loosen over time. Maybe somebody with some more experience may be able to give you(and me!) a better idea of what's involved with that process.
Do you have somebody lined up to do the powdercoating locally?

I use www.halfbakedcoating.com. I used them for power coating the A-arms on my RX1.Tell him you heard about his web site from a TOTALLYYAMAHA MEMBER. I emailed him today to see if he could powder coat some more parts.He has a qick turn around time.They do an amazing job at a good price

I done all my engine covers in high gloss black powder coat. All except for the valve covers due to heat not dissapaiting quickly. This is another conversation that could back and forth but I chose to just use VHT on the valve covers and powder on the rest.

The bitch was breaking the phillip screws loose on the inside of the stator cover. Rest was common sense and using silicone to plug all the holes.
Well worth the time and effort. no more paint scratches, fading, etc. Wax and go!

Covers stripped and ready for the first step of degassing...

Attachments

• Stripped Parts.jpg
    Stripped Parts.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 36
  • engine built.jpg
    engine built.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 32
The bitch was breaking the phillip screws loose on the inside of the stator cover.

I broke off one of the screws on my Venture engine.... they are tough. Be ready to use a pair of vise-grips, a well-fitting screwdriver (impact screwdriver if you have one) and some PB Plaster. A little heat might help too. I ended breaking off an extractor in the case as well:bang head: not a good day in the shop!

Good luck!

I have plenty of spare covers here and could coat up a few sets on an exchange basis.

Sean Morley

Latest posts

Back