removing throttle cable/carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okee dokie, so I FINALLY got my carb rebuild kits in (I still need to order some new diaphram rubbers though...). Anyways, I was excited as hell to pull the carbs off but of course reality smacked me in the face. How in the hell do I get the throttle cable off?! Anyone have some pics? Also, how aggressive do I have to be in getting the carbs off? I can't seem to budge them when I pull, but I don't want to break anything. On a somewhat related note, the little covers beneath the carbs have stripped screws, how necessary are the covers (ie can I break them off IF need be)?

remove the black plastic cover on the left side.. the..near the stearing shaft....in front of the scoop....yu will see the rectangular connector for the throttle cables...just remove the top cover and slip em out. piece o cake:biglaugh:,,,you can leave the short pieces on the carbs till you remove them.

yull need to remove the scoop as well

Last edited:
Couple ways to pull the carb rack....stand on one side of the bike and reach over and pull up on the diaphragm covers on the opposite side

or....use a suitable sized peice of wood (short broom handle works good) and pry up on the diaphragm covers, using the valve covers as fulcrum points.

I leave the cables attached until the carbs are free of the bike then chase the cables around the bell crank with a hooked automotive pick tool and pull the barrels out the cable slot.

+1 to what they said! I've always used a BIG screwdriver to lever the carb rack off, but make sure to protect the valves cover where you rest it with rubber, wood or a rack. They pop right off.

Back