Repacking a kerker

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew85

Reaction score
I just got done making a 2" baffle for my 4-1 kerker. Im putting stainless steel wool around it first. Would it be ok to use 2-stroke packing? The reason I ask is that I already have a bag of fmf packing but it says 2-stroke on it. Is there really any difference?

Shouldn't make any difference. I repacked my Kerker slip-ons with packing purchased off eBay. So long as it is actual muffle packing.

Ok thanks, I thought I read somewhere that 2-stroke packing was made to not take as much heat and wouldnt last very long.

4 stroke packing is a little more dense, it will take more heat. The 2 stroke is less dense and doesn't take as much heat. There are people that run 4st packing in their 2st, (if they can get it to fit right) and it lasts a little longer. Using 2st in a 4st pipe, you'll get the results your looking for, you'll just be replacing it sooner.

Ceramic is supposedly the "good shit".
Let's hope so... I ordered the packing from the ebay seller in Drew85's post and used it in my Kerkers.

I did, after seeing your link. :)

Not sure if I did it right, but 1 unit of packing (12" x 24" from that seller) was enough to do both of Kerker cans on my 4-2 exhaust.

The 12" width was nearly the same length as my Kerker baffles, so I cut the 24" length into two 8" or 9" sections - just long enough to wrap once around the baffle with the seam running along the bottom, and have about 7" of packing left over.

I'm not sure how I'd compare the sound to the Kerkers when they were new - that was many, many years ago. They definitely sound better than they did with 2" of burned up packing in them before I redid them!

I used that when repacking my Kerker slip-ons. Was hoping to quiet them down but really noticed no difference in the tone or volume. Was easier to use though. No fiberglass skin irritation either. My old packing was not worn out though, I was just trying to lower the volume.

I would NOT suggest steel wool unless you want to create a flame thrower!

Latest posts

Back