running rich

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
You know, one day I am going to have a bad ass max. My bike is running way rich, smells like gas real bad when starting up, friend said he could smell it while riding behind me too. Gonna have to get the carb job done after all I think. I am kinda sick of worrying about it all.

I just hope I am doing no long term damage to the bike as I am having to commute to work on it at the min?!

so now I still have the brake issue, carb issue, and throttle return cable sticking issue. ggrrrrr

Just replace the return cable as a complete assembly. It's pretty easy to do.

All vmax's run rich from the factory. What exhaust do you have?

Chris

As far as I know everything is completely stock on the max!
My magna ran a little rich but I never could smell the gas like the max - especially with the choke on in the mornings?

A lot of people that have ridden behind me before I dyno tuned my bike complained of the smell. Your bike is probably pretty right as it was from the factory. That being said, you could probably put 147.5 mains in it and get it closer to where it should be. Your pretty much AT sea level in LA so I'm sure that will help a ton. Do you have plans to install a full exhaust at some point in the near future?

no plans for an exhaust. Just trying to do all the necessary stuff right now. I pretty much broke the account buying this bike as it was not planned - well planned on getting one just could not pass on this one!

hey mgrowc1, check your air filter. a dirty air filter will make the max run rich. it will also build up carbon in the combustion chamber.i have taken apart a vmax motor that had a filthy air filter, the carbon was so bad that there was interferance at top dead center because the crown of the piston had too much carbon as well as roof of the combustion chamber ,when the piston reached tdc the two carboned up sufaces inpacted each other jamming the piston taking out the rod bearing . all this is due to a dirty air filter ,making it run rich and not burning the fuel completely. leaving a deposit of carbon every single rpm of the engine. if you want your motor to end up like this ,dont check filter. best to you all buckridge

Air filter was not too bad, i did put a new one in the other day anyway though so not that. Thanks for the advice though

I highly suspect that the piston hit the carbon prior to the bearing failure. More like is that the bearing failure occurred first and then the piston traveled farther up the bore and then contacted the head (usually the valves hit first and leave nice pretty circular marks in the piston reliefs.)

Sean

You know, one day I am going to have a bad ass max. My bike is running way rich, smells like gas real bad when starting up, friend said he could smell it while riding behind me too. Gonna have to get the carb job done after all I think. I am kinda sick of worrying about it all.

I just hope I am doing no long term damage to the bike as I am having to commute to work on it at the min?!

so now I still have the brake issue, carb issue, and throttle return cable sticking issue. ggrrrrr

It could be a stuck coasting enrichener, plugged PAJ, needles not seated in slide correctly, purge jettings dirty, main air jet dirty, main jet too large, etc.

I would do the Peashooter first. The link is in the links section. If that doesn't work, time to go through the carbs.

for what its worth I had the same issue when I picked up my max. When I pulled the air box, carb #2's diaphram was fluttering back and forth like crazy and the remaing 3 carb diaphrams remained steady until throttle was applied. I pulled the carbs and removed all jets and shot compressed air through every orifice and now she runs great. Minor tunning still needed but no more crazy richness.

Latest posts

Back