scanning transmission codes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
Does ANYONE know someone who can let me borrow a transmission code scanner so I can scan my mountaineer for transmission codes?? I can't take it to a garage since its currently not on the road.
It will only will shift once...after that it goes into neutral as a safety thing.
I'll pay the shipping both ways....it would only take a minute to scan then I can send it right back.
If no one will...I understand...these things arent cheap! (I priced one to buy...yikes!)

Does ANYONE know someone who can let me borrow a transmission code scanner so I can scan my mountaineer for transmission codes?? I can't take it to a garage since its currently not on the road.
It will only will shift once...after that it goes into neutral as a safety thing.
I'll pay the shipping both ways....it would only take a minute to scan then I can send it right back.
If no one will...I understand...these things arent cheap! (I priced one to buy...yikes!)

I've got a OBD II scanner I can send you. PM me your address and I'll mail it on Monday.

-Mark-

A normal OBD II scanner should do what you need.

I wasn't aware that there is a special scanner just for transmissions?

There are specialty scanners that have more features, like being able to reset codes, actually tell you what the codes mean, or display live time info in graph form, pull history with date and time stamp and so on.

But for just pulling the code any OBD II should do.

The one I've got was about $55 at auto zone. You just have to go look the code up on the Internet after it gives it to you. It came with a book that tells you what they mean too but outside of fed mandated codes there are a lot of codes that are manufacturer specific.

Knowing the code isn't the end all to be all of fixing it either but its usually a pretty good clue to narrow down troubleshooting efforts.

I really miss the days of being able to go pick up rebuilt TH350 for $400-500 and fix it yourself. ........

Your welcome to borrow it as well if you like.

Are you actually getting any CEL light lit up on your dash?

I miss the old days on no computerized cars....Mark will most likely let me borrow his...I have a cheapo one but doesnt show anything for the tranny

A OBD2 code reader will probably just find a P0700 code in the engine ECM to let you know you have a trans problem then you would need to get into the TCM module to find the hard codes and see what they are and see the live data.:bang head:

Our family business is automotive. We recently had a mountaineer with the same problem. After scanning the system with the new snap on scanner we ended up replacing the transmission with a factory rebuilt. I hope that is not your problem. It was a little pricey. Hope it work out well for you.

Our family business is automotive. We recently had a mountaineer with the same problem. After scanning the system with the new snap on scanner we ended up replacing the transmission with a factory rebuilt. I hope that is not your problem. It was a little pricey

its a 1998 with a v8 automatic, awd
Hoping its not a replace.... would love to drive it again....really fun suv to drive!

I believe y'all when you say a transmission scanner will "dig deeper".

Just out of curiosity I looked in the manual for my cheap OBD II scanner and it will pull all the codes P0700 through P0849, almost 150 codes that are all tranny, driveline, clutch, gear selector related.

Some site I found said the first thing to do an any modern auto was to update/reboot the software and it seemed to fix many problems.

I read it on the Internet so it must be true. ; )

I wish you the best of luck, it sucks how expensive transmission work is now a days.

Back