Secondary coil resistance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowandfast

Reaction score
Long story short, I washed and waxed up my Vmax for storage last fall. I tried to start it to move it, and it would not start, wet plugs from old rubber on spark plugs. Plus I found a cap on its way out. So fast forward to today when Im replacing the caps, plugs and doing other preseason maintenance, I find that I cannot get an ohm reading on any of the coils secondary sides. What gives? I checked all the caps before installing them and even removed the wires and check those too, all good, except the fact that I cant get a reading on the coils?

How are you measuring? Positive lead should solidly be in contact with wire post and neg lead on good engine bolt.

I was measuring all the coils exactly how its shown in my factory service manual.

Could all the coils be bad and still have the bike run?

No, either measuring wrong post on connectors or meter is bad or range not set high enough. When i measure to ensure it's all connected properly i measure from boot to ground. It should read about 18.5 kohms assuming using 5k caps.

Back