Shifter shaft oil seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingrider

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got pretty much the hole rear end of my Max tore apart waiting to put in solid engine mounts.

After tearing it all the way down, I replaced the oil seal and O ring on the middle gear assembly, which looked to be bad. Looking the rest of the bike over, my shifter seal was very dirty, possibly from oil blowing back up onto it from the middle gear leak, but it may also be leaking.

I am wondering how much I really need to pull off to change this seal....figured as long as I've got it down this far, a bit more won't hurt. Not to mention thowing $15 in seals and gaskets at it in it's current state is better than getting it all back together and find it still dribbles.

Can I simply pop the seal out, and put a new one on, or do I need to remove the shifter shaft out the right side of the motor, and then pry out the seal?

Thanks for any help! :)

Just turn a self tapping screw in the seal and yank it out. Then, get some pvc that fits over the shift shaft and that is close to the same size as the seal in diameter and drive the new one in.

Thanks! I wondered if I could do it like that, but didn't want to screw anything up if it wasn't similar to the other bike I had done it on.

Back