Should I?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooOld

Reaction score
Looking to buy an 02 V-Max with 37k miles on it. The bike just went through a $2400 get ready to sale inspection and minor repairs. The bike is in great shape all around. Should I be concerned with the mileage? There are many out there with much less miles but this one is priced right. I am 69 years old and this bike has been on my bucket list for a long time. I've been riding since I was a teen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mileage wouldn't scare me off.
Where the carbs rebuilt and sync'ed in that $2,400?
Open the gas cap and see if there's anything beyond a tiny bit of surface rust. Even if the carbs were just rebuilt, if the tank is rusty it will just clog things up again.
Take it on a test ride and really get on it in second gear, all the way up to redline. Do this a few times and make sure she doesn't pop out of gear under load.
Beyond that, basic maintenance... is the brake fluid dark (and maybe crystallized)? How are the tires... check the date stamps... lots of old tires out there.

68 here and just bought a ‘06 with 25,000 on it….has it been ridden recently? That’ll usually give ya some idea about fuel tanks and other systems.

37,000 wouldn’t scare me a bit.

Oh yeah…..welcome to the machine.

Mileage wouldn't scare me off.
Where the carbs rebuilt and sync'ed in that $2,400?
Open the gas cap and see if there's anything beyond a tiny bit of surface rust. Even if the carbs were just rebuilt, if the tank is rusty it will just clog things up again.
Take it on a test ride and really get on it in second gear, all the way up to redline. Do this a few times and make sure she doesn't pop out of gear under load.
Beyond that, basic maintenance... is the brake fluid dark (and maybe crystallized)? How are the tires... check the date stamps... lots of old tires out there.
Thank you DirtieGirtie! What are or is the issues of 2nd gear popping out? Is there a recall or fix?

68 here and just bought a ‘06 with 25,000 on it….has it been ridden recently? That’ll usually give ya some idea about fuel tanks and other systems.

37,000 wouldn’t scare me a bit.

Oh yeah…..welcome to the machine.
Thank you wilks! Good to see there is another crazy old guy out there!

Thank you DirtieGirtie! What are or is the issues of 2nd gear popping out? Is there a recall or fix?
Provided it has been serviced regularly it is now just run in. :)

The early Maxii had an issue with them jumping out of 2nd. This was fixed quite early on so you shouldn't have any issues with yours.
However, now that the Genie is out of the bottle best check....:rolleyes:

Some useful info for you aside from what's been mentioned:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/

RaWarrior has moved-on from VMax ownership, but his info is still timely.

View attachment 92865

https://dn790009.ca.archive.org/0/i...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf
My 2005 had 44K on it when I bought it. Runs fantastically. Perfect carburation all through the rpm range from idle to red line, no 2nd or other gear issues. Did have to rebuild leaking forks and brake calipers, though. Luckily those parts are relatively cheap.
Love the bike.
Gtista

What years specifically had the 2nd gear issue? I’m all too familiar with “internet” issues with vehicles….ya know the ones where 1% of the vehicles had an issue but because of the internet it seems like 70%. lol

sorry for the hijack.

Provided it has been serviced regularly it is now just run in. :)

The early Maxii had an issue with them jumping out of 2nd. This was fixed quite early on so you shouldn't have any issues with yours.
However, now that the Genie is out of the bottle best check....:rolleyes:

My 2005 had 44K on it when I bought it. Runs fantastically. Perfect carburation all through the rpm range from idle to red line, no 2nd or other gear issues. Did have to rebuild leaking forks and brake calipers, though. Luckily those parts are relatively cheap.
Love the bike.
Gtista
Thank you for your reply. If it looks as good in person as it does in pictures I will probably buy it.

If you miss shifts on a redline 1-2 shift repeatedly, the engagement dogs on the gears lose their proper shape and you have a second-gear upshift problem. The second gear won't stay engaged with a load on it. It can happen on a 2007 or any other year. Undercutting the gearset will 'pull' the gears' dogs and their corresponding holes together, lessening the chance of a missed-shift.

@MaxMidnight you stated earlier that Yamaha fixed the 2nd gear issue early on but @Fire-medic is stating that it can still be a problem all the way up to 07. Do you know what the fix was?
There was an issue with the first Max's and also I believe Ventures which was corrected in '85 which a modified gear. Any bike of that vintage would probably had the original service fix or the later parts fitted.
Sloppy gear changes that round the dogs will eventually allow 2nd, or I suspect any gear that has been crashed, to jump out. This would apply to any bike but if the Max is more prone than others I can't say.

An '02 would have the later 2nd gear so would be no more or less susceptible to jumping out of gear; it would depend on how it has been ridden.
The only way to tell if there is this or any other issue with the bike is to ride it.

I had an ‘86 that a thrashed pretty heavily….some drag racing and constant power shifting on the street….never an issue…of course I knew how to shift….if ya don’t then you’ve got other issues unrelated to your transmission. lol

I'm also 69 here in UK .I'm 5ft5 and weigh 145lbs. Had mine for 8 months with 20,000miles on clock. Paid £7000. You need to take the seat, dummy tank, side panels off and check condition of wiring etc. especially around the battery. Listen for any knocking when engine hot. With the engine cold and on the side stand check the oil level in the site glass. Start the engine and check that the oil level goes down. If it doesn't then the o ring in the sump may have popped and that is serious. Hang on tight when you hit 6000rpm.

There was an issue with the first Max's and also I believe Ventures which was corrected in '85 which a modified gear. Any bike of that vintage would probably had the original service fix or the later parts fitted.
Sloppy gear changes that round the dogs will eventually allow 2nd, or I suspect any gear that has been crashed, to jump out. This would apply to any bike but if the Max is more prone than others I can't say.

An '02 would have the later 2nd gear so would be no more or less susceptible to jumping out of gear; it would depend on how it has been ridden.
The only way to tell if there is this or any other issue with the bike is to ride it.
Thank you @MaxMidnight!

I had an ‘86 that a thrashed pretty heavily….some drag racing and constant power shifting on the street….never an issue…of course I knew how to shift….if ya don’t then you’ve got other issues unrelated to your transmission. lol
Thanks @wilks

I'm also 69 here in UK .I'm 5ft5 and weigh 145lbs. Had mine for 8 months with 20,000miles on clock. Paid £7000. You need to take the seat, dummy tank, side panels off and check condition of wiring etc. especially around the battery. Listen for any knocking when engine hot. With the engine cold and on the side stand check the oil level in the site glass. Start the engine and check that the oil level goes down. If it doesn't then the o ring in the sump may have popped and that is serious. Hang on tight when you hit 6000rpm.
Thanks@brian hicks, I will check all that you mentioned.

Back