So, how was my 600-mile dealer service?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story I'll try and make short(er).

Last summer, I took my BKing to the dealer where I purchased it for the bike's 600-mile service. Looking to get rid of the huge exhaust cans (and feeling lazy), I asked the dealer to please install a set of Yoshi slipons, as well as a Power Commander while the bike was there. No problem, they said.

Later that day, my dealer called me and said they had installed the Yoshis and the PCIII, but they had a problem while wrapping up the 600-mile service. They had managed to strip the drain plug in the oil pan (it's an aluminum pan), and they would have to overnight a new one and get it installed on Monday. :bang head:

Great. New bike, DOA for the weekend.

Monday afternoon, bike was done...went and picked it up. Loud. Otherwise, it felt OK...didn't notice any significant performance improvement with the slipons and PC, not that I was really expecting one.

Fast forward to yesterday. I took my bike to a local Dynojet shop to get a custom map done for it. Not really looking for the last HP in the BKing, but just wanted to make sure the mixture was right. (I had noticed some bluing of the headers just downstream of the engine. Not unusual on the BK, just a possible warning sign of a lean condition.)

Bike to the tuning shop. On the dyno, sniffer in the pipe...hooked up to the PCIII...

Houston, we have a problem.

The BKings and Busas have two rows of injectors. One upper and one lower on each cylinder. Lower injectors handle everything below a certain RPM (maybe 7k?), the upper injectors are really secondaries, coming into play only when you're doing something naughty. The four connections from the PCIII are supposed to be connected to the main (lower) injectors. Guess where mine were hooked? To the upper injectors. Nimnuts at the dealer hooked them to the wrong injectors, and effectively the PCIII had been doing nothing for the last eight months or so. :bang head:

We had to take the bike apart, lift the tank, and rewire. With that done, fired the bike back up, and voila...we can now adjust the mix at idle. All is goodness.

But wait.

Where's the bypass for the oxygen sensor that was supposed to be installed? (It's a little connector with a resistor attached that terminates the O2 sensor that is no longer used with a PCIII.)

Nimnuts forgot to install that. And, to make things better, the Dynojet shop where I was doesn't stock them. Never needed one before, as they're supplied with every PCIII / PCV that they sell. Bah. No dyno pulls for me until I get one shipped from Dynojet.

So, as I take my ride home, I begin to wonder what exactly was remaining in the box the Suzuki dealer handed me after they installed my PCIII? Got home and looked, and sure enough, there it was. Thanks, Nimnuts. Appreciate your leaving parts leftover after the install.

So, with the bike ready to go...I've got another appt with the tuning shop for a custom map on Friday.

Lessons learned: I'll never, ever do business with Cycle Center of Denton, TX again. Never. After I got home yesterday, I called the dealer and told him what I thought of his service department. He offered nothing for their mistake(s), except the satisfaction of knowing that he would talk to the service manager and the tech that did the work. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Next lesson: If it's not stressed around here enough - do your own friggin' work. Only then can you be sure it's done correctly. The install for the PCIII has nice pretty pictures with arrows and Nimnuts still couldn't do it correctly.

Do the work yourself. Do it slowly. Clumsily. But do it yourself, or if you're lucky enough to find a guy you trust (looking at you, Morley) trust in him and make sure he gets paid for his time. He's worth it.

BTW, after I get my bike dyno'd on Friday, I'll post the results. Unless they suck. Then I'll just make something up. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

WOW! I have never rec'vd good service from ANY dealer around chicago. Matter of fact I have never met any mechanic up here that didn't look high as a kite while working.

Glad it's all good for you now! I bet that thing is gonna be pushing some awesome numbers.

Glad it's all good for you now! I bet that thing is gonna be pushing some awesome numbers.

Just got back from the tuner. 4th gear (the unrestricted gear on the BK) made 168.12 hp. Graph is attached. I was surprised at the number of runs Dean made to work his magic, but the air fuel ratio ended up pretty flat. I wasn't necessarily looking for the last hp, but finally can rest assured it's not running lean anywhere now.

To go 170 hp+ it looks like it would take a full header and likely an aftermarket air filter, but this should keep me ahead of the minivans in traffic. :clapping:

Here's a link to a full-res version, too.

Attachments

• bkingdyno.jpg
    bkingdyno.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
Back