Speeding....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a big difference between speeding and driving/riding recklessly. When the 55mph speed limit was the norm on the interstates, there were people(I was one of them) who had radar detectors and used CB radios and went 70mph. Now that the speed limit is 65/70mph people go 80mph. The increase in speed does not put peoples' lives in danger, but it is those drivers/riders who operate their vehicles without regard for others safety that should be ticketed....

+1 Running 10 mph over the limit on an open roadway is not inherently dangerous. Weaving in and out of traffic, texting, driving too slow, not paying attention..... are far worse. I don't feel safe at all unless I'm moving faster than the majority of traffic. I like to be in the fast lane moving at least 5 mph faster than most of the other traffic. If someone faster approaches me from the rear I gladly move over and let them by. Much safer than having to worry about what's in front of me and what may be overtaking me in all lanes. IMO

By lane splitting and speeding albiet within the norm I believe a rider is far safer and more alert than simply waiting for something to occur. X amount over the standard flow allows me to navigate and choose what I feel is the safest and most correct path. Simply put, Cagers from their vantage point are usually very limited in their decision skills

i don't feel safe at all unless i'm moving faster than the majority of traffic. I like to be in the fast lane moving at least 5 mph faster than most of the other traffic. If someone faster approaches me from the rear i gladly move over and let them by. Much safer than having to worry about what's in front of me and what may be overtaking me in all lanes. Imo

+100

I can't even fathom lane splitting. I drive lowboy for a construction company, and I commonly carry machines that are 10 to 12 ft wide. You know how wide the lanes are? 12 ft. Who's gonna win, the excavator track, dozer blade or the motorcycle. Just my .02 cents

I can't even fathom lane splitting. I drive lowboy for a construction company, and I commonly carry machines that are 10 to 12 ft wide. You know how wide the lanes are? 12 ft. Who's gonna win, the excavator track, dozer blade or the motorcycle. Just my .02 cents

Lane splitting, when done properly, is safe and a great way of easing traffic congestion. I used to do it when I lived in California. I did it a few times here in Kentucky when I first moved back, but it pissed off quite a few cagers and the cops here definitely do not approve of it...

Hmmm..
I see big machine on road.
Me not use same technique as passing a Mini..:rofl_200:

I-95 in Miami-Dade Co. FL is a free-for-all. You really have to be doing something very stupid to get attention from the FL Highway Patrol-FHP. I regularly see SUV's doing 90 mph+, and sportbikes often just thread the needle, because they can and there is little hope of a cop car staying w/them in traffic. They can't outrun the helicopters though.

It's gotten to the point that the traffic is so-thick, I don't ride as-much as I once did, being younger. I think you need to be moving a bit faster than most of the traffic. People will just cut you off repeatedly, or even go after you, tailgate, cut-across multiple lanes like to yield to you is a sign of weakness, and generally act like a bunch of assXXX's. Every time you go-out, you can count on someone doing something that would put you in the hospital, and they would just drive-away, not giving a shXX about you. You pretty-much got one good traffic wreck a shift on fire/rescue, and sometimes, more than that.

You have to watch-out constantly, because between the aggressive drivers, the elderly, the drunks, those high on whatever, and the cellphone users, they all treat you the same: "what motorcycle? I never saw one, officer!":confused2:

I'd like to have the video of the guys face that Lane split Next to my set of doubles When I shake the wheel like I do to tailgaters That rear pup really f****** flops all over the place You would literally s*** your pants If you Lane split next to me

In Australia the 'margin for error' the police work with i.e. 5 kms, 10kms over the posted speed limit or 15kms seems to be determined by how much of a shortfall the state government has in revenue.

The lack of uniform road rules means that margin for error varies from state to state. So you cross a border and you get busted.

Seriously, who rides wacthing the speedo for a 5, 10 or 15k variation?

Who watches the speedo on open winding rounds with wildlife and random cagers all around?

Real safety is really nothing to do with 'speed kills' issues.

I'd like to have the video of the guys face that Lane split Next to my set of doubles When I shake the wheel like I do to tailgaters That rear pup really f****** flops all over the place You would literally s*** your pants If you Lane split next to me

Exactly Mike. At a stand still, on the shoulder maybe, but at speed its way more of a gamble than I want to take. All it takes is a small "shake of the wheel" while your in the middle of splitting and your done. Its not about how great of a rider you are. Its putting your life in the hands of the drivers around you. And the tip for the day. never follow a construction lowboy. No matter how well you sweep and clean the deck, there is still gonna be dirt and stone bouncing off the back.

I-95 in Miami-Dade Co. FL is a free-for-all. .......

People will just cut you off repeatedly, or even go after you, tailgate, cut-across multiple lanes like to yield to you is a sign of weakness, and generally act like a bunch of assXXX's. Every time you go-out, you can count on someone doing something that would put you in the hospital, and they would just drive-away, not giving a shXX about you.

You have to watch-out constantly, because between the aggressive drivers, the elderly, the drunks, those high on whatever, and the cellphone users, they all treat you the same: "what motorcycle? I never saw one, officer!":confused2:

.....and horns don't phase them! This was Shala & I's experience the last time we rode down the coast to the Keys. Made us want to rent a car the next time (if ever) we go there, and leave the bikes at the campground up north.

I've heard similar from other people with vet plates, at least for routine/minor traffic tickets it's pretty much a free pass.

In NY it used to be that 80 was the cutoff for speeding on the highway, but now it's more like 75. Vermont is the worst, I got a ticket for 71 in a 65 and my boss got a 33 in a 30 there. Too bad because there's a lot of sweet roads to really cook down. Mass seems to be the opposite, if you're on the pike and not doing at least 80, you're clogging things up. Left lane traffic is pushing 90 going by cops without so much as a brake tap.

Ryan, good to see you back! How is the new ride? Is 87 showing its colors well?

I still have to rate the ride into the Lower Keys (south of Miami FL to Key West) as one of the most beautiful rides you can take. The Atlantic Ocean to your left and the Gulf of Mexico to your right, and reverse it on the trip back to Miami. On a day w/good weather (like right-about now, before the big tourist influx) it's just spectacular. Don't forget to stop at Alabama Jack's before you get away from Card Sound Rd. on the return to Miami.
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Both my car and bike have veterans plates and I also carry a military ID. Last April, my wife and I were on our way to California to see my daughter and grandkids. I got pulled over twice for doing 80 in a 75(Oklahoma and Texas) and both times, the officers thanked me for my service and let me off with a warning. I have been pulled over on three different occasions for going 10 over the limit and each time, I was thanked for my service and given a reminder to slow down.....

For the record, the last speeding ticket I got was back in 1995. I didn't have my military ID at the time and I was driving my dad's Alfa Romeo 164S and his car did not have veterans plates.
i 1ST , I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE ! .... I THINK YOU ONLY GOT THE TICKET BECAUSE YOU WERE DRIVING A " ALFA ROMEO " ! ... :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back