spittin carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Im new to this sight . Im having some trouble with my bike. The bike runs like its on 3 cly,s untill i get it up to 3000 rpms then runs fine after that.Local dealer cleaned carbs an instaled new boots. But did not fix the problem. Thanks for any help Sam :bang head:

Hi Im new to this sight . Im having some trouble with my bike. The bike runs like its on 3 cly,s untill i get it up to 3000 rpms then runs fine after that.Local dealer cleaned carbs an instaled new boots. But did not fix the problem. Thanks for any help Sam :bang head:

Welcome to the best Vmax forum on the web...

Does it run really well with the choke on?:whistlin:

Check out the how too's and the other links HERE and HERE Namely the Shotgun... :whistlin:

Check for good spark in all 4 cylinders. Then, check sync. If still bad time to clean pilot circuit carefully.

Mark

The first thing that I would do is dump half a can of seafoam into a tank of gas and go for a ride.

Their was another guy from WV that had a really nice red vmax that couldn't get the carbs right and eventually sold it.I tried to hook him up with Paul Czernics in Pittsburgh Pa.to go through his carbs for him.He never contacted him and just sold it instead of getting it running right.

What part of WV are you in?

Last edited:
im an hour from huntington ans an hour from charleston wv abought right in the middle. someone told me if it was out of synk it would not just clear up when it reaches 3000 rpms, that it would run rough all the way up to redline. mine is fine after 3 grand. any help? gonna try shotgun this weekend. thanks.

That's not true. Out of sync is less noticeable as revs rise. Float level problems is opposite...more noticeable as revs rise.

Did the mechanic even check the sync? Cleaning carbs has an affect..especiallyif he removed the carbs from the bike.

Mark

no he dident sync them, i took them off and took them to him. could they have needed synced in the first place insted of cleaned? it starts good,idles good just a flutter off idle till i get to 3000 rpms. then its perfect.

It's possible. Sync will always be off if you remove the carbs from the boots. If you clean the pilot circuit and adjust the mixture screws it'll need a sync too. I've had bikes where it stayed pretty close but others like mine have been way off at times. Have you tried adjusting the mixture screws? If you turn them all the way in (clockwise) the engine should stumble. It's like shutting that cylinder off. If it doesn't do anything then either you're way out of sync or the pilot circuit is still dirty.

Mark

thanks i will try adjusting the mixture screws, may do shotgun this weekend. should i get them synced first and hope it does it or should i do shotgun first? thanks.

Try the simple stuff first so try to sync before anything. Then, test your mixture screws and make sure they all have an affect when you close them off. Make sure you remember how many turns out each is before starting. Take a look at the Sticky's in the carb section. There are some pics and write-ups explaning some of the tuning involved with Vmax carbs.

Mark

i started on the shotgun methed today, most of the holes i could get air thru, but the hole that has o ring around it beside the idle mixture screw just left of it that the slide cover goes on wouldent tak air,carb cleaner or wd40. i gave up dident know if it was clogged or how to unclog it put back togather ran like shit till i got to 3000 rpms. same ol way its been.

That's purge jet #2 and supplies a bit of pilot mixture air below the throttle plate. Try a strand of electrical wire to clean it out. Were all four plugged?

Mark

i started on the shotgun on one carb, got discouraged and put it back togather. couldent get air to go thru the hole upper left from air mix screw. the one that has the o rung around it.

should that air purge hole let air thru like pilot jets? i couldent get no carb cleaner in or air, i quit cause i dident know what it suppose to do. put it back togather, same thing. friend has his hayabusa up for sale, its fuel inj. it will fly.

Yep, it lets a little air to help your idle. You can see the little hole in the cover. It goes through their and into the hole with the o-ring.

Yep, Hayabusa is a lot less maintenance involved. New tech. :) But, they are like a Honda Civic....everyone has one.

Mark

could my valves be so far out of adjustment thats giving me this problem running on 3 cly till it gets up to 3000 rpms?

That's a possibility. Have you done a compression or leak down test?

Mark

just got carbs back from another yamaha dealer,mech been thier 20 years said the last shop that i took them too dident take the jet block assy off and thats where my trouble was. gonna put them back on this weekend if its fixed gonna go give him 200 more dollars for a tip. i can look from bottom side and see one butterfly not shut like others should it be like that? i can see a little light thru it but the other 3 are dark. any help on this? i had a 1000 kal and used a drill bit to synk carbs, can this be done on v/ max?

Latest posts

Back