stage 7 question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
i wanted to know how far should i put that little metal top hat piece up the crankcase vent tube? also does it matter which side is up? do i have to remove my carbs to fit the tube on the crank case or can i use long needle nose pliers? I tried quickly this morning but its not easy< any tricks to get this on?
Thanks

I don't have a stg 7 but I did remove, cut, and reinstall my breather hose when I installed the muscle jet kit. I had troubles getting it on too. I ended up warming it up a little with a hair dryer, then gave it a quick hit of wd-40 to help it slide on easier. This did the trick for me. My carbs were off when I did it, I was in the middle of a re-jet. I've heard others say that it can be done with the carbs on the bike.

i wanted to know how far should i put that little metal top hat piece up the crankcase vent tube? also does it matter which side is up? do i have to remove my carbs to fit the tube on the crank case or can i use long needle nose pliers? I tried quickly this morning but its not easy< any tricks to get this on?
Thanks

sorry bill my brain must be mush not sure which peice you mean? the cap that screws to the oil filler spot then tube runs upwards, you mean where it attachest to one of the oil air seperators?i know its hasrd to get at and i used pliers, needs longer peice there to make it easier, if thats what your talking about

He's talking about the restrictor that Stage seven has in the PCV pipe. Put it small side down into the barb fitting sticking out. Then shove the hose on and over it and the barb fitting. It can be done with the carbs on with long needle nose pliers but it's not easy. You'll make life a lot easier by warming it up as noted (a hair dryer works great or paint strip gun just don't melt it).

It's a lot easier to do with the carbs off though.

Sean

Also, I found out that newer tubes are VERY supple. Mine was a breeze to install and Fargo spent 30 minutes doing it. It literally took me seconds.

I guess I'm saying if it's really hard/impossible, buy a new hose.

Chris

Don't move the clip down the hose. It will slip back into place with it on. You pull out the overflow bottle and let it hang off the side. Reach in under the box through the newly created hole.

BUT, the hose is rigid enough that it should stay in place even without the clamp. We've seen plenty of them that way without any issues.

Sean

I was thinking (uh-oh) that if I were to modify the airbox so I would have a hose with a fitting that would slide through a hole in the bottom of the airbox. I would put a nut on the fitting to seal the hole in the airbox and then put a mini filter (k&n style) on the end of the fitting that protrudes into the air box.
I'm thinking it would eliminate trying to blindly attach a hose to the bottom of the airbox. Would it be worth it?

I was thinking (uh-oh) that if I were to modify the airbox so I would have a hose with a fitting that would slide through a hole in the bottom of the airbox. I would put a nut on the fitting to seal the hole in the airbox and then put a mini filter (k&n style) on the end of the fitting that protrudes into the air box.
I'm thinking it would eliminate trying to blindly attach a hose to the bottom of the airbox. Would it be worth it?

As long as it leaves NO potential of loose parts falling into the carbs while it's running...

Sounds trick Brian but think I'll just do what Sean said and leave the clip in place and slide hose & clip over the nipple. Actually have done that...thanks for the reminder! :punk:

I left the OEM clip on the botttom of the hose in place, never touched it. I replaced the one near the airbox with a regular hose clamp. Once you remove the coolant overflow it is pretty easy to get in there with a 1/4" spinner and a long extension with a socket and tighten the hose clamp.

well thanks for the replies...
It took me damn near 15 minutes just to pry that hose off, when i did get it off it was hard as a rock. i guess that happens after 25 years so i ended up buying a new one and after 20 minutes of trying to get the new one on, i decided to pull the carbs to make it easier. well that definately helped and now Everything is on and back together

man what a pain in the :10_6_8:

Back