Starter clutch issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Well, after getting covers chromed and modding other bits I finally got some time to slam this back together to the stage of firing it up. Things went well until I hit the start button and heard a noise. So after pulling of the stator cover I found a busted idler starter gear. WTF I thought, upon investigation and research it appears the starter clutch was the culprit as it appears to be a common problem. I could see the ends of the cap screw threads protruding through the FW and sure enough they were loose as I could easily turn them with some pliers.
I wish I had known a potential problem existed beforehand and I would have looked for it and fixed it all before putting the cover on.
I had no prior knowledge of any problem as the bike is new to me and only ran it a few times after purchase and it seemed fine then.

Anyway I had recently made a FW puller for my Virago and wondered if I could use it. Well of course the 3 holes didn't line up as they are on a different PCD, nothing could be that simple, so I re drilled the holes to 72mm PCD which is what the Vmax is and easily got the FW off. Got some new screws to fix the clutch with some Loctite.

Mr Yamaha isn't going to get any money from me for another idler gear so I made one. Will case harden it and be back in business shortly.:punk:

Attachments

• fw 011 (Large).jpg
    fw 011 (Large).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 57
  • fw 008 (Large).jpg
    fw 008 (Large).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 63
  • fw 009 (Large).jpg
    fw 009 (Large).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 60
Got it all together and works well, got a clip of it running in the exhaust forum.

Attachments

• g 002 (Small).jpg
    g 002 (Small).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 82
Man I wish I had you skills... and your time... and your equipment!

Nice job!

Back