Starting Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same issue with my 85 guys! Let me know if you get it resolved. I'm leaning towards the starter button connections. BTW, where is the diode? I can't seem to find it and the bike was in parts when I got it. Cheers!

Mark, which diode are you referring to? If you are talking about the acsessible one, it's behind the steering head. The other one wrapped into the wiring harness.

Hi there, I found it, the diode switch; right where you said it would be. I still haven't had a chance to check out the oil level switch; did you short it out to get the bike to start with the button? My oil light only comes on when I push the button. Thanks for the reply!

My issue was resolved. It turned out to be the turn signal/starting cutoff relay, 41r-71. Tested it by shorting out black/yellow to the ground and no starter relay click. Further checking after taking the relay cover off showed that connection to be completely eroded. $45 on eBay for a used one; let you know if it worked. =)

My 90 is doing this after starter clutch replace. Ive replaced solenoid and rebuilt the starter with no luck. I installed a new battery and same thing. I did get the starter to crank over the bike very very slow a couple times. I disassembled the starter clutch to make sure I had it all together right and it was. Turns over by hand just fine. Starter bench tests fine. 12.8v at battery. .1v across solenoid while cranking which is within spec <.3
Jumping across solenoid does nothing but heat up the cable going to starter.
I dont think its any failsafes as it cranked just did so very slowly.
Im looking to sell the bike but wanted it running before doing so. Help me out if you can.

Back