Still doing it...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Godzilla has this strange habit (besides stomping on Toyko!) that is driving me nuts.
Only when it is cool out - like below 70 degrees, and only when the engine is just started, and only for the first quarter mile or so....

I pull in the clutch to shift gears, the tachometer jumps a thousand RPMs (The engine does not speed up, the throttle is closed), the headlight and dash lights flicker, I think the headlight switches low to high beam rather than actually going off, and the engine misfires for just an instant. Normal switching low to high beam causes no problems. The whole sequence only takes less than a second to happen... After about 3 shifts, the problem clears, and it doesn't do it again. Let the bike sit for an hour or two, and it still works fine. A hot day - no problems... The bike runs great otherwise. 14.3-14.4v at all RPM.

I'm hair challenged, so I haven't got a lot left to pull out. This has been going on since before the sidestand relay incident of last fall. I've got Eastern Beaver headlight relays installed, they work fine.

I figure it HAS to be a loose ground somewhere, but I think I've checked them all.
maybe a problem in the ignition switch? Help!

Thinking about it a bit - I'm going to pull the fuse for the headlight relay wiring. This will shut the whole headlight relay system down. If it still acts wonky, I assume it's not the relay setup.

Bill, check black ground wires behind instrument cluster. Clean up the engine ground near oil fill cap and the frame grounding point on right side near fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Got the ones back by the filler and the fuel pump. Didn't know about the ones behind instrument cluster. I've got a burnt out bulb in my speedometer. That's a good excuse to get in there and have a look at those grounds while I'm working on the speedo. (No, not IN Speedos, On The Speedometer!!)

Doesn't the tach work off off the stock coils you don't have anymore?
Ever thought about a toupee'?:bang head:

I think the tach gets its signal from the TCI box. Thisseems like the whole thing momentarily shuts down. If I had to get a toupee and had to pay for it by the square yard, I'd be broke!!

Tach, fuel pump and vboost get it from one cylinder circuit from ignitor/primary coil.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back