Stock rear shock adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fear

Reaction score
My stock rear shocks feel like they need to be stiffer, I adjusted them at the top but I would like them a little stiffer. Can you adjust them from the bottom also? I know about the progressive shocks, just not ready for that mod yet. I rode the 85 Max for 19 years and never seem to have this issue, my 05 seems to squat under hard acceleration:ummm:

Yes... Turn the bottom with the supplied tool to set preload. Read the manual for pics and such.

Chris

Any tips... or how to would be great. I would think to make stiffer I would compress the springs? Or am I looking at it backwards, is it easy to turn them? Anything I should look out for? Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to scratch up my stuff.

I think the only adjustment (on the newer models) is the top ring. The chrome one with numbers 1 thru 4 on it. I may be wrong, I will look.

Yep, no adjustment at bottom on the stockers. Just the top which I don't think does much that I have noticed.

I stiffened my rear springs up also. You can twist the bottom shock ring for more spring pressure. I think there are 5 settings ? You can see the notches were they can go. I think I have my shocks on 3 bottom and 3 top.

I stiffened my rear springs up also. You can twist the bottom shock ring for more spring pressure. I think there are 5 settings ? You can see the notches were they can go. I think I have my shocks on 3 bottom and 3 top.
Really? I thought the holes at the bottom were just drain holes for the lower spring cup. Let me know for sure, because I would like to stiffen mine up as well if possible!

owners manual....

Attachments

• shocks-manual.jpg
    shocks-manual.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 239
You guys are funny... Don't play like that... Only one setting... lol

Really? You didn't believe that did you? No preload setting?

Chris

No, seriously I did not know they adjusted! Every adjustable shock I have seen has the "tab" welded to the outside, and you 'ramp' the lower spring cup up to the next setting.

I adjusted my rear stock shocks preload (bottom of the shock) Set it at 3 and set the top at 3 also. Wow, what a big difference it made! Feels like I gained 10 HP lol, much nicer in the corners also. Thanks for all the info and help guy's.

i went 2 and 2. definitely took the cadillac feeling out of the bike but pushes in the turn much better now.

owners manual....
Does this really do something towards handling ?
I also heve these schocks and ride alone, what would be the recommended start setting ?
(as i'm new to this bike, rode other shit for years)

yes but you need to experiment as different weight people with different needs of their bikes will use different settings. You could try full-soft, then full-hard, w/road work in between to get a sense of where you prefer it. I like a firmer setting but you may enjoy comfort. Also I'm > 200 lbs.

Back