Surge and pop just off idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el oso

Reaction score
My max is a stock 2006 except for Supertrapp slip-ons, and has 7600mi. It runs great everywhere except for just a hair open from idle. It idles great and I can shut the throttle from any rpm with no popping, so I'm reluctant to mess with the idle mixture. If I open it just a hair more the problem goes away, so I can avoid the "area" at cruise most of the time. the actual range where it's running lean is very small - should I just leave it alone, or is there an easy fix for this? If the idle screws are the answer, I'm guessing they are going to have caps that need to be drilled out, so it's not just an adjustment?

'Fraid only you know if you can live with the condition or not.....and you can spend a hell of a lot of time chasing your bottom trying to sort it.

I think I would be inclined to leave it alone, but if you can't...

Your assumption about the tamper proof plugs is correct. These would need to be drilled before you could play with the idle mixture.
A small (ish) hole sufficient to get a small self tapper in to give something to tug 'em out is all that is required.

If you can avoid destroying the plugs a small dollop of sillycon sealer in the drilled hole will enable them to be re-inserted thus keeping dirt and moisture out.

Note that the factory set the mixture screws by the CO reading from each cylinder so don't be surprised if they are all at different positions.
Try an additional quarter turn and see what difference it makes.

The Air / Fuel screws may just be enough to overcome your trouble. There will be caps over them if they've never been adjusted. Check to see where each is set by turning them in carefully, don't force them. Stop as soon as there is resistance. Start them all at 2-1/2 turns out and go from there. Your final setting will likely end up between 2 and 3-1/2 turns out... A little rich makes for a nice rythm at idle.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the input. Based on what I'm hearing, I'll wait till it gets worse.

Latest posts

Back