TBoost Issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
I just got my first VMax this month, and ordered a Tboost module for it. I haven't received it yet, but ran into another guy on a VMax at a gas station and starting asking questions about his bike. I asked him if he had put a Tboost mod in it, and he warned me that it's not a good idea because it causes the bike to run lean above 3k. He acutally called it the 'piston burner' mod.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have my doubts that this is the case, and I can't find any negative press on the Internet about Tboost either. Has anyone else ever heard of this? He also said a few other things that lead me to question his knowledge on the topic. What do you guys think?

Derek, here's how I look at it. If you open the flow up after the carbs, or intake manifold, valves, exhaust....you'll richen. If you open the flow up before the carbs (airbox) then you'll lean.

I've wondered about the jetting myself. If the T-Boost kicks in at 3k, then it is pretty much dumping twice the fuel while droning down the road. It would be open nearly all the time. I have seen enough negative comments on it that I will prob continue the "wait and see" posture that I have right now. Anybody have one and think that it the BEST?

I do have the T-boost installed, it does richen the mixture, I rarely use it but I think its the most bang for the buck without having to open up the carbs and mess with the jetting. I think its good to have.

Last edited:
I have it also, but dont use it much. It makes the throttle a little too twitchy at low RPMS. But if you really love V Boost and want to get to it faster then you should get it.

Its great for when you need it, and its right there on your fingertips with just a flip of the switch

HI Derek,
I also have the T-boost mod and I think the guy that you talked with at the gas station is way off the mark. My boost is on often. I actually get better fuel milage on longer runs. I think this is because of smaller throttle openings.
Get the T-boost----You'll never look back.
Lew

I would even dare to say that T-boost is a better mod then stage 711:)
at least if you don't want to use it just don't flip the switch Vs a lot of meddling with the carburetor in stage 7 and the bike will never run like a well tuned stock no matter what you do! for only 7 horses which will make no difference and leave you with never ending tuning problems.
This was said to me by the chief mechanic at the dealer who was working on a bike with a stage 711, and he has much much more experience with tuning than any week end mechanic.
The only down side of the T-boost is that the bike doesn't like to be kept at a constant speed, so either you ride hard or turn it off.( normal or hyper)
Try it, use a K&N filter to lean the mixture a little to counteract the effect of the T-boost.
I use it with the stack coils ( air spirals) I made and the bike really fly:rocket bike: the other day I went all the way up to 60 MPH in less than 20 seconds:)
stack coils made in the USA & sell for $30 or you can make them yourself for $5.00 if you are handy.
T-boost+++
________
Inter

Last edited:
firefly said:
I would even dare to say that T-boost is a better mod then stage 711:)
at least if you don't want to use it just don't flip the switch Vs a lot of meddling with the carburetor in stage 7 and the bike will never run like a well tuned stock no matter what you do! for only 7 horses which will make no difference and leave you with never ending tuning problems.
This was said to me by the chief mechanic at the dealer who was working on a bike with a stage 711, and he has much much more experience with tuning than any week end mechanic.
The only down side of the T-boost is that the bike doesn't like to be kept at a constant speed, so either you ride hard or turn it off.( normal or hyper)
Try it, use a K&N filter to lean the mixture a little to counteract the effect of the T-boost.
I use it with the stack coils ( air spirals) I made and the bike really fly:rocket bike: the other day I went all the way up to 60 MPH in less than 20 seconds:)
stack coils made in the USA & sell for $30 or you can make them yourself for $5.00 if you are handy.
T-boost+++

Not sure about the 7 horse claim. Most will get 7-10 but I've actuall seen a gain of 30 on one bike!

The t-boost can actually make you slower at the tract but it's still a good mod as are the other adjustable units. The t-boost gives you a closer view of what the stage 7 mod does.

In no way is it going to lean the bike out and cause a piston to melt down.

For those that have never tried the stage seven - you don't have a fricken clue as to what you are talking about. it gives you nearly 10% more power to the rear wheels, more power in the mid range, and a lot more throttle response.

A stock bike can be made to run well but an equally tuned bike with header and jet kit will kick it's tail all day long and ask for more. You can make 40+ mpg, mid 120's HP, and low 80's torque once set up correctly.

Our own jet kit (muscle jet kit) is a derivative of the stage seven and makes equavalent power to it for 1/2 the cost and still allows you to run your v-boost with any mod you want.

Sean Morley

how much is that muscle kit? Easy to install? Would they work with my restrictive Cobra pipes?

KRL0215 said:
how much is that muscle kit? Easy to install? Would they work with my restrictive Cobra pipes?

I can forward info on the kit. In a nutshell the kit would run you $200 with your old airbox lid in exhange or $220 with a new lid. It includes a huge variety of jets, and a new "panel" K&N filter installed into the lid along with other parts to make it all work.

It is a little easier to install than the stage seven.

I do have a new addition to the kit that I want to get dyno tested before I start adding them in but it won't be hard to add later either. It would make the price about $10 more but preliminary tests show it is working quite well.

There is really no kit out there that will work well with your Cobras. I used to have a set myself (even on my 1261cc engine) and they look cool just simply don't perform well.

I would swap in some 147.5 main jets and call it a day if you wanted to crisp it up a bit.

Anyway, email me directly and I can forward the Jet kit info to you. It has dyno results and what you can generally expect to gain with it.

[email protected]

Later,
Sean

KRL0215 said:

Ken, let me know when you install this, I want to see how it's done!:tantrum:

info sent. It is easy to install but won't work well with the Cobras though I'm willing to try and help you make it work (though we may get nowhere).

We are currently testing it with some slip-ons and am pretty sure it's going to work though nto as much power as you would get with a full header.

Later,
Sean

maleko89 said:
Sean, what's the new addition? Thx,

Trade secret Mark - LOL

I'll show you at the dyno day. We are going to re-baseline with the dyno bike and then add the last part.

Sean Morley

I think I'm a little confused.

It was my understanding that the v-boost just rams air into the air filter/carbs. How exactly does it richen the air/fuel mixture?

Also, what is a stage 7 / stage 711 mod?

Thanks, and please forgive my newb-ness, still waiting to get back into the country and actually take possession of my vmax.

Erik
________
Pissing Mature

Last edited:
Erik, the vboost valves are below the carbs. When they open, two carbs feed each cylinder instead of just one carb per. Here's an easy way to remember richness/leaness. If you open up the intake side, you lean the over-all mixture in the cylinder. If you open things up after the carbs, like intake manifold, vboost or exhaust....you richen. Stage 7 is a racing carb kit. You get rid of the air box and replace with four individual K&N filters. You use Dynojet needles, put air correctors in the main air jets, install the supplied puke can for the crankcase vent and voila! You get better top-end but do lose a bit at the bottom and midrange. I use Sean Morley's kit, you keep the airbox...he modifies the top to use a flat K&N air filter. You retain the bottom end and midrange with this setup. If you do stage 7 or similar, open the vboost up full time. It makes things real interesting!

Back