the infamous second gear issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and my vmax and im going to need some professional help to get my bike running right, first off it keeps popping outa 2nd gear, no matter the rpm or speed(not all the time but most of the time). But if i shift into second and hold my foot up against the shifter i can almost keep it in second. Is this gunna mean a transmission rebuild? Thanks

jason

Re: the infamous second geasr issue

Welcome to the forum! I have never had the 2nd gear problem, but I know others have and if you do a "search" on this forum, you will find all kinds of info on repairing the shift segment.

if its popping out of 2nd that is most likely going to need the transmission rebuilt. You can split the cases and talk to sean morley (one2dmax) about the parts, or send the engine to him.

I did a search and found a lot of info, but i figured id still get some opinions on the problem, looks like ill be getting my hands dirty this next week, i also need to clean and retune the carbs so ill probably strip the whole bike down and get to it. Thanks ill be back on here with many more questions

jason

Sounds like 2nd gear (and 5th that 2nd engages into) have worn dogs. Likely all of the gears have wear so a full undercut to fix it up. You can also go with an OD setup at that time if desired too. You can do the work yourself or we can do it for you (splitting the engine/ect...).

Sean

Sounds like 2nd gear (and 5th that 2nd engages into) have worn dogs. Likely all of the gears have wear so a full undercut to fix it up. You can also go with an OD setup at that time if desired too. You can do the work yourself or we can do it for you (splitting the engine/ect...).

Sean

Hey Sean, thanks for the help. Ill do the work myself since im very much a gearhead. As far as undercutting goes... what is that and who does it?:ummm: i have a friend that works at a Yamaha dealership so i get a samll discount on parts, but if i can get parts from you for cheaper or the same ill give you my buisness, and OD? how expensive would that be to add? thanks again for all the help ill be tearing down the bike tomarrow and i ll get some pics of the before and after since im going to be powdercoating alot of stuff (hookups at the powder coaters!!):punk:

Jason

We provide undercut work and even an overdrive trans option. Looking at $500 for the undercut basic job plus $50 return shipping. The overdrive is $300 additional and changes out 5th gear for lower rpm cruising. New gears might be less depending on how many are bad but still won't shift as smooth as what we would provide.

Undercutting is putting an angle to the gear dogs that helps engagement. The stock gears are already slightly undercut but aren't done with any kind of precision or matching. Our undercut increases the angle and is matched to each gear for a considerable increase in smoothness.

Just ask a few of the guys on here with our transmissions.

Sean

We provide undercut work and even an overdrive trans option. Looking at $500 for the undercut basic job plus $50 return shipping. The overdrive is $300 additional and changes out 5th gear for lower rpm cruising. New gears might be less depending on how many are bad but still won't shift as smooth as what we would provide.

Undercutting is putting an angle to the gear dogs that helps engagement. The stock gears are already slightly undercut but aren't done with any kind of precision or matching. Our undercut increases the angle and is matched to each gear for a considerable increase in smoothness.

Sean

I am very happy with Sean's trany work. My max shifts better than new now. Nice solid shifts and I can't say enough about the overdrive:biglaugh: 65mph is 3300rpm and 75mph is 3800rpm. So weather you want to kick it in the pants or cruise down the road you get the best of both worlds:eusa_dance:

wow, well hopefully the trans aint trashed lol since i live in California..... and if i was to ship the motor to you... how much would it cost (shipping, parts, labor ect ect.....) i wouldnt mind doin the work myself.... just curious :biglaugh: Thanks again.

Jason

Shoot me an email and i'll send you what if sheets. Shipping is typically $150-$250 each way.

Sean

Sean

SEAN - can you share some pics of a before & after "undercut"

I know this aint the pics your lookin for but here is my before and after :biglaugh: I have 4 oil changes and alot of happy miles and she still shifts like a dream!!

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 46

I am not sure if I have that but there are pics of transmissions we have worked on in our Facebook pages - plus I think you saw the evolution thread too.

where can I buy this 2nd gear upgrade kit? is there a part # from Yamaha?
My 85 had about 14k miles and just started doing the 2nd gear wackiness.

thanks,
Rakkasan1

They don't have anymore of the recall trans kits. However, you can easily update yours to the newer design. Either way this is going to involve tearing the engine open to get access to the trans (if yours is bad). If yours is a bad semgent that's an easy fix (if it won't shift).

We can repair your trans if it's the newer design and or update yours if it's the older design. Either way is not super cheap. We can also offer an overdrive 5th gear option which will actually replace 2 of the old design gears if you have them still (there are 3 gears total that need changed out if yours is the old design).

Email me for sample trans repair prices if you want.
[email protected]

Sean

Latest posts

Back