Timing chains.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
126,000 miles is making me think about wear issues. One of the things I'm thinking about is the timing chains. They are original, as are the chain tensioners. I believe these camchains self-adjust - I seem to remember that they self adjusted after the motor was revved up to like 5000 RPM. The adjuster took up the slack when the rear of the chain went loose when the throttle was closed.

Sound right? Anyone got any idea (and I'm sure lots of you do!) what the actual part of the adjuster that contacts the chain is made of? Rubber or hard steel, I'm thinking. Gotta pull the heads to change them?

Any comments and/or advice would be appreciated, at least to calm down my paranoia a bit....

The adjuster pushes on the a cam chain guide. I wanna say the guide is steel with some type of "not steel" coating.

I think the motor has to come apart to change the guides. For sure the crank has to come out to change the chains.

The upper "long" guide is solid plastic and easily swapped with the valve cover off. This takes up the slack in the system.

The lower "V" shaped guide requires removal the heads for access. It's at least a hybrid with plastic coating over steel frame. It is pushed on by the tensioner and is on the "pull" side of the engine.

The tensioner has a TON of adjustment (which is automatic) and appears to be pretty durable. To remove/replace it you'll need to get the exhaust out of the way for the rear head and intake for the front head. BUT, it's not suggested unless you can make sure to orient the cams so it won't jump the chain.

Not sure i've ever heard of any failing.

I think I'll find something else to worry about - at least till 200,000 miles! Thanks for the replies, guys.

Back