Tire balancing beads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenreesesr

Reaction score
The question is, how do you feel about them, and who has the better product. Changing out the tires on my 03, and thinking about using the beads. Any opinions on tires? What works best or is it just personal preference. I'm a pleasure rider, not a racer, but I do love the power now and then. I think I have original Dunlop Qualifiers on the bike now.

You should have asked what kind of oil to run in the bike too. That way you would have posted 3 of the questions that there are no definite answers to.

Sorry, had to say that :biglaugh:

Balance beads are debated over all the time on this forum and many others. I always thought they were B.S. I put new wheels on my bike, didn't want weights on the wheels and put beads in. I have no complaints, the bike rides smoother than ever. I used dyna beads. I can't compare them to other brands since this is the first time I've used beads.

Tires are debated over all the time on this forum and many others. Metzeler ME880 is one of the most popular choices for this bike. Great tread life, quality tire. Price is a bit high. Shinko TM230 is another popular tire. These tires have great grip in all conditions. Tread life is not as good as the Metz. Quality is not as good as the Metz. Price is cheap. Plenty of other options too but, these are the most popular.

Also with the Shinko 230 lots of weight is needed to balance. My understanding of balance beads is that they roll around in your tire and as the heavy spot of your tire starts to be affected by centrifugal force the beads roll opposite and correct the balance as needed. I have heard people even use air soft BBs

I've used balancing beads in my old vmax, I was running 17" rims front and back. Using recommended dosage for that tire size worked just as good as regular balancing for me. But as stated above, you will find just as many people saying it didn't work for them as you will saying they work :)

Kinda like going to the dark side, lol.

Can't comment on tires, I've only had stock tires on mine (which are crap BTW) switched to radials before OEM needed replacing.

For the tires
on my stock wheels; i use AVON VENOM they have great look, i like the handling while i`m not a racer :)ummm:would`nt brought Vmax if felt racer:biglaugh:)

For the dyna beads hum:ummm: would it be more efficiant if they where install by someone who takes care to find the best tire position on wheel, i mean where it need less cunter weight. :ummm:
Is anaybody take care of that:ummm:

Regards

Dyna beads now on all our newer setups. Didn't ever used to bother with balancing the rear as it wasn't on there long enough lol.

I gave dynabeads a somewhat scientific test on my Z....with regular stick on lead weights, it was smooth all the way to 150+. While I was washing it, the weights on the rear fell off. Now there was a faint, but noticeable "hop" once you got it much over 90 that got worse with more speed. Pretty obviously a out of balance wheel. (It was 2x 1/4oz weights that fell off)

I got some dynabeads, the 2oz baggie recommended for the 190 rear tire it has. Added the beads, went for a ride. Tire was aired up to the same pressure as before. No difference. Still had the speed hop. I added the lead weights back on with krazy glue(there was a visible outline where they had been). Hop went away, perfectly smooth again, though now it might have been a tiny bit better than the pre-beads. Tough to tell for sure.

With the rear wheel on a stand rotating it by hand, I can hear the beads freely flowing around inside the tire, so they weren't clogged up by bead sealant or moisture.

These seem to be really hit and miss.

I should add these little B'sturds make a heck of a mess on the garage floor when you take the tire back off IF you forget they're in there and spill them. You can recover them and reuse, IF you are careful when pulling the tire by placing a small paper cup in the tire and rotating it around til the beads go in the cup.

I use Dyna beads. I lent a pair of wheels to one of my Bro's in need. They were Shinko's with beads in them, used tires. He had considerable vibration, took the beads out and the vibration stopped? I've been high into the triple digets with the beads and z6 Metzlers. Have to say I'm happy with them. The z6's? They were great till they became a bit worn. I can now power holeshot fish tailing all over. The Shinko's didn't do that. I might try the Verge next. Garrett
has recommended and used them. Good enough for me. He's the go to tire guy in the Northest.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't trust them and won't use them.
I have heard too many mixed results when they are used vs traditional weights.
I like to hit triple digits too often to trust my life to something that may or may not work properly.

The only thing I can contribute is Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports of motorcycling) tested them several years ago and said they made no real difference and recommended to NOT use them. I personally have no experience with them. :confused2:

Put beads in my Avon rear when I changed it this summer. Had vibration that started around 70 on the old tire (before beads) but it was barely noticeable. No weights on the rims at all. New tire is smooth as glass at all speeds now. Got my beads from eBay from a guy in Nevada or new Mexico, can't recall the name at this time. Very good price compared to the name brand beads. He will sell in bulk and seperately package it in the amounts you request. I will try to find his card in the a.m. He gives a bit more discount if you order direct from him (not through eBay). This is my first try with them, but I will be using them again. I am going to put some in the tires of my car soon and that will be a better test because at least one wheel shakes at 60+ bad enough that the steering wheel shakes.

I think I may have put too many beads in the Shinko rear tire and got an out of balance situation. They are difficult to get balanced.Last time I had Shinko's dynamicely balanced there were weights lined up on 25% of the tire. I think there is some confusion in the balancing dot/valve stem alighnment on Shinko's.
Steve-o

Put beads in my Avon rear when I changed it this summer. Had vibration that started around 70 on the old tire (before beads) but it was barely noticeable. No weights on the rims at all. New tire is smooth as glass at all speeds now. Got my beads from eBay from a guy in Nevada or new Mexico, can't recall the name at this time. Very good price compared to the name brand beads. He will sell in bulk and seperately package it in the amounts you request. I will try to find his card in the a.m. He gives a bit more discount if you order direct from him (not through eBay). This is my first try with them, but I will be using them again. I am going to put some in the tires of my car soon and that will be a better test because at least one wheel shakes at 60+ bad enough that the steering wheel shakes.

Just FYI, dynabeads does not recommend using their product with passenger car tires that have an aspect ratio less than 65. Not sure what size your tires are but may be worth checking into that. Check the FAQ section of their website for more info.

I should add these little B'sturds make a heck of a mess on the garage floor when you take the tire back off IF you forget they're in there and spill them. You can recover them and reuse, IF you are careful when pulling the tire by placing a small paper cup in the tire and rotating it around til the beads go in the cup.

Ain't THAT a fact!! There will also be about the same number of black beads as white....and the inside of the tire will be 'baby's bottom smooth', the ribs that ran radially across will be gone....worn off and become those little black beads that are all over the garage floor.

Personally, I don't care for them.

Next time I get tires I think I'll try adding some antifreeze to them. Fundamentally it does the same thing as the beads, just with a much higher "resolution" of balance....think of water as just infinitely small beads. And being a liquid it's obviously unaffected by any residual rim sealant or moisture that happens to get in there airing up, which seem to be the main problems people have with the beads.

1gal /128 fl oz of water weighs like 8.4 lbs/135 oz.....which works out that 1 fluid ounce of water weighs slightly more than one ounce (weight).

The pink boat/RV antifreeze is specially designed to sit in rubber hoses and contains conditioners to protect them for long term storage, so I'm not worried about it adversely degrading the tire. Plus as Dan said the ceramic beads slowly abrade the interior of the tire.

That's an interesting concept, liquid in the tires? I used the beads and loved them - gonna put them in my current Shinkos when I get a chance. But liquid? Will it really work the same? Never heard about it before.

I've changed out several tires on my bikes that've had the beads installed. I salvage the beads for the new tire. I've never came across any little black beads added to the mix.

$4.00 worth of the RV 'pink' antifreeze would sure go a long way, IF you are going to add just 2-3 oz per tire. Of course, after thinking about it, it'd take way more than 2-3oz per tire accounting for how liquid would first want to coat the entire insides of the tire before accumulating where it needs to be for balancing. I wonder what the amount needed would be?

Latest posts

Back