VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be more inclined to have the cover machined than welded if possible.
No chance of using the oil fill hole for the turbo drain? Not that it really matters to me. Just asking.

Did "fabuthis" from outlawdb drop out? Thought he was interested in helping out. http://www.outlawdragbike.com/showthread.php?472-Header-Fabrication

Mike I believe Steve is still interested and I will call him tomorrow to see what his work load is like. A guy with his crazy skills stays pretty busy with race cars but we'll see. As Jeff mentioned in his post I can do one and get all of your feedback here on the forum as I mock it up. Then it's simply a matter of price for the production version. Mark does awesome work as well! All good!

Bringing the drain all of the way back to the oil fill would not be a good thing. We want a nice straight vertical line back to the crankcase. The left cover is good because there's not a whole lot of oil slinging around in that particular parts of the motor.

Ok for all you carb guys I got my carb and its actually a TM42 I believe. Whats the difference between that and the hsr? Will I be able to use this or is it going to give me problems? Thanks guys.

Ok for all you carb guys I got my carb and its actually a TM42 I believe. Whats the difference between that and the hsr? Will I be able to use this or is it going to give me problems? Thanks guys.

I don't think there's any difference other than the way the throttle exits (opposite direction) and it uses a stock HD choke cable. That cable exiting in the other direction might give you a problem.

Hi all, Day off... cleaning up today. Figured I'd offer this to the group before I ebay it. $150.00 TYD with the O2 Sensor.

Mr Turbo Gage1.jpg

Actual parts

Mr Turbo Gage.jpg

Here's where the drain needs to be in the side case.

Do you all want to use braided hose with AN fittings or a plain rubber hose?

The fitting should be straight not right angle'd like the one shown.

Turbo Drain.jpg

Do you all want to use braided hose with AN fittings or a plain rubber hose?

I'd prefer AN fittings but not in the traditonal blue/red colors.

I would be open to using hose that is not braided but takes AN type fittings like Russell twist lock or Aeroquip socketless.

My suggestion is that we just weld a male AN bung to the housing. The housing should be counterbore'd slightly so that the fitting face sits flat before welding it on... less chance of distorting the cover during the weld process. Powdercoat or paint or chrome the cover. Sean's suggestion of using some cores so that they can all be done at once is a good one. Sean do you have 4? Robert is this something you'd like to do? ... some extra money for your project.

Then you can all choose whatever you like. Mike... Aeroquip has some nice black or silver AN braided racing hose and fittings. We need at least a -6 size... available here (link) Chassis Shop or Sean may know where to get them locally. For those of you that just want to go barbed/hose clamp/rubber... there is an adapter available to do that.

Pics

C73-631_1.jpg
hrdp_1101_02_o+performance_fuel_hoses+aeroquip_hoses.jpg

Which one of the group is going to coordinate? Want one to use when I fabricate the exhaust plumbing.

I've got plenty and we can use whatever we want (from Jeff's or mine). I also have previously modified covers that I will try to look at tomorrow. BUT, they may not be modified in the way most would want.

I can also get the lines/fittings.

I am about 3 days from completing my next big warehouse setup. This has over 900 vendors that we can get from. Check them out:
http://www.atechmotorsports.com/linecard/R

Hey gary,
Not sure what I am going to do there yet. Once my turbo gets here Monday or Tuesday I am going to mock stuff up a bit and see how and in what orientation everything is going to be mounted. I think My turbo is going to be backwards to your guys setup.

Lol havent tried that one yet gary! You happen to know what is required to change the hsr over to work with a turbo? I did some checking and I did get an hsr42, its just a pre 2000 carb.

Harder to steer I would imagine LOL. Very cool on the carb! Jeff can hook you up with the part info changes needed for the HSR. Think Sean can source them for you at a good price.

Ok... off to do some machine work for the kits. Did you all decide who was going to coordinate the side cover mod?

Well, got the turbo all pulled apart today and it naturally would be the dynamic seal! :bang head: On the up side, they sell a rebuild kit for them will all the parts to make it a carbon seal for about 70 bucks, so I will have a virtually new turbo for around 200 bucks. Should be starting to fab up an intake this week I hope.

Ok... off to do some machine work for the kits. Did you all decide who was going to coordinate the side cover mod?

There is a machine shop close by that I've used a couple times. They are don't have the quickest turn around time and usually not cheap. I have been dealing with a local pc shop that has decent turnaround.

I can stop in this week and see what they would charge if there is any interest.

On another note, my bike will be down for a month yet so, I can just use my cover instead of shipping cores.

Well, if Mike, Sean, and I all have covers that we can use for the next month or so, then it looks like we may only need 1 cover. (Gary, are you doing your own cover, or do you need yours done as well?) I have a local guy that has done a fair amount of fabrication for me... he has a knee mill, lathe, full engine machining center. His name is Tony Stewart and he builds stock car chassies (his name is a little ironic) and he has raked my frame, done some swing arm modifications for me, and is a pretty good welder..... plus he is pretty cheap!!!!!! Gary, if you can send me a part number for the bung that you are wanting to use, I'll get a few on order.

Do we want to remove the stators from the cover before any machining/welding is done? I know some of the philips head screws can be a bear to get out at times.

Lets keep up the communication and we'll see if we can't get this taken care of ASAP.

Thanks,

Jeff

We can get some machining work done here too. Maybe someone can do the first one and we can duplicate it here easily enough after that.

Sean

Latest posts

Back