VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff good luck with everything! Sounds like you're going to be pretty busy.

Sean, Sounds good! I had some time to start the mod on the valve cover for venting. Do you have a big bore motor that tends to push a lot of oil out of the standard breather? Or know of someone with the problem? I can weld a fitting onto the valve cover this week and get it out to someone to try. A bit of advance testing.

Figure we need to run off to a catch can/breather somewhere... we discussed this a while back. Someone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced can/breather? We should pick one and I'll match the fitting... no need for an AN fitting... just a hose and clamp.

I'll search around and see what I can come up with for a can.

Gary you can use a car AC condenser aluminum unit (3" wide per 10" tall?). Fairly easy to find on a scrapyard and probably they'll give it away. And it has fittings. I can't swear on it but i'd say its AN type (air conditioning fittings).

I was going to take a 2" piece of aluminum pipe and cap the ends and weld fittings in for my catch can, just an idea and maybe a bit more affordable.

Hey,guys there are pics of scotts radiator under the fab,cnc and projects section.it is a stock replacement but you can see his work. if i can get that rad sold -been on craigslist for a bit and fixing to go on ebay,ill get him to make a proper one for the lh hose position.as soon as i get our tax refund back ill get the stuff coming for the scoop molds.as long as everyone wants to go that route still.-its been awhile.i had hoped to be further along than this but the wife and i have another little one on the way.been trying to get ready for that.and the usual shop slowing for the cold season.but spring is here now so time to get crackin.let me know your thoughts. sean ill get my cover coming to you.thanks ,mike

Jeff good luck with everything! Sounds like you're going to be pretty busy.

Sean, Sounds good! I had some time to start the mod on the valve cover for venting. Do you have a big bore motor that tends to push a lot of oil out of the standard breather? Or know of someone with the problem? I can weld a fitting onto the valve cover this week and get it out to someone to try. A bit of advance testing.

Figure we need to run off to a catch can/breather somewhere... we discussed this a while back. Someone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced can/breather? We should pick one and I'll match the fitting... no need for an AN fitting... just a hose and clamp.

I'll search around and see what I can come up with for a can.
i have one of seans big bore motors in my other bike it doesnt have any oiling probs though.he uses a tie in to the factory oil breather hose for his jet kit that takes care of any oil ventilation issues.also i had a link to a place that has cans but they arent as nice as the one you found that time.i can dig up the info again if you like -they had a carbon finish one and a polished one too.an fittings too if i remember correctly.are you thinking using a pump?or just a header evac like we talked about?or none?

Yea, the last flatslide engine we had definitely has some oil pushing out past the vent (but there's no box to help control it too).

Sean

i have one of seans big bore motors in my other bike it doesnt have any oiling probs though.he uses a tie in to the factory oil breather hose for his jet kit that takes care of any oil ventilation issues.also i had a link to a place that has cans but they arent as nice as the one you found that time.i can dig up the info again if you like -they had a carbon finish one and a polished one too.an fittings too if i remember correctly.are you thinking using a pump?or just a header evac like we talked about?or none?

Just a simple catch can/ breather combo for now... suppose we can do some kind of evac system later. Did a quick search this morning at Ebay and there are quite a few available Catch Cans

Looks like most have a 12 mm ID hose connection. Will weld a connection on valve cover to accommodate.

Yea, the last flatslide engine we had definitely has some oil pushing out past the vent (but there's no box to help control it too).

Sean

Usually people replace the hose between the cylinder banks to the airbox with just a small clamp on breather... makes quite a mess down there. Having that hose in place actually vents the engine higher and into the box... so any oil mist gets sucked back through the intake and out the exhaust pipe.

Same condition will exist with the turbo as with individual carbs and no air box.

Ok if someone wants to try the setup just buy a catch can with a breather on it. I'll send the valve cover to you and we'll go from there. Can help out with a trick bracket for the can once we find a good spot for it.

Hey guys, Jeff send me the link for the AN fittings and I just want to make sure if we were talking the -6 AN fitting sizes? Also, if there is a catch can available through summit I can get discounts on them (not a lot but at least some).

Sean

Hey guys, Jeff send me the link for the AN fittings and I just want to make sure if we were talking the -6 AN fitting sizes? Also, if there is a catch can available through summit I can get discounts on them (not a lot but at least some).

Sean

Yup -6 AN

Hey Gary, The turbo vmax project is approaching completion. I have the intake all designed and built, the exhaust is almost completed and the turbo is mounted up in there. Need to make a flange to mount the carb and get cables and such figured out yet. I am sure my setup is probably not near as good as yours, but I do believe it should work well. I had a question for you though, what ID hose should I use for a turbo drain line?

Cool -6 an or 1/2 hose is good... bigger the better. Important thing is to keep the line running down hill with the least amount of bends... nice smooth return.

Alright, thanks Gary! I am just excited to get this thing together so I can hear it run again! I am hoping its not going to be too big of a nightmare to get everything tuned.

Gary, I wanted your opinion on air fuel ratio gauges. Do you think it is necessary? If so, what would be an affordable option? Thanks for all your input on this thing, its gonna be fun to get it out on the street and see what shes got.

Gary, I wanted your opinion on air fuel ratio gauges. Do you think it is necessary? If so, what would be an affordable option? Thanks for all your input on this thing, its gonna be fun to get it out on the street and see what shes got.

I used one to dial in the first turbo setup... actually posted it up for sale in this thread. Have mixed feelings about selling it. I use exhaust gas temp for a benchmark now using a data-logger. So it sits there in a box... sooo I encourage you look around and find the best deal. The A/F gauge will tell you whats going on.

There are a whole bunch out there now... wide band and narrow band. My opinion is that both work just fine. Some would argue that the wide band is better. It's like arguing about who has the best stereo and you know how that can go. The real world is that everything changes... weather, altitude and load all have an effect on engine performance for any given day. Do a quick search on Ebay and see how many that are out there... then key the one you might be interested into Amazon.com for the best price.

Back