VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert thank you! You work with what you have... I'm no judge. Was just wondering about how the discharge from the compressor is situated in your plenum. That sounds weird eh LOL
Is it pointed at the two front cylinders? Ideally the discharge or output should be directed at a wall. That way you get more even distribution between all 4 cylinders. If it's just pointed at lets say the front 2 you may lean out the other two (rear) or visa versa. The early in-lines would have that problem. Here's what they did to make that better... old school

images

Gary if you picture my intake its all tubular and looks like an H if your looking down at the motor from the top. There is a cross tube between the 2 pipes and the turbo blows into the middle of that pipe. How do I post pictures on here?

Here is what I have got, there is a charge pipe in the center of the manifold.

Attachments

• 2012-03-15 20.39.32.jpg
    2012-03-15 20.39.32.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-03-24 16.51.26.jpg
    2012-03-24 16.51.26.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2012-03-26 18.23.21.jpg
    2012-03-26 18.23.21.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 2012-04-06 20.22.59.jpg
    2012-04-06 20.22.59.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 2012-04-08 09.46.32.jpg
    2012-04-08 09.46.32.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 2012-04-10 18.12.51.jpg
    2012-04-10 18.12.51.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2012-04-11 20.26.28.jpg
    2012-04-11 20.26.28.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
Nice fab job Robert! Boy that's a little bugger of a turbo. Must make boost low in the RPM range. Picture'd something different in my head. I would suggest you get a thermocouple on there to see what kind of temperature your running for the compressor discharge. The turbo that your using may be fine for a car running like 6K and the typical 5 PSI they use for production cars. When you ramp it up to like 10K and 8 PSI that compressed air/fuel mixture gets hot. Think of it as a big home compressor vs a small. The small one will spin like hell and make a lot of heated air which condensates and in turn makes lots of water to ruin your air tools.

A big problem with using a draw thru setup is the heat of the discharge. It's a problem with blow thru's also and that's why intercoolers exist... to try and cool the compressed air. In our application the air and fuel mix... and there's no real good way of getting an intercooler in there. Here's a link that has some basic Q&A info. Check out where they write about the discharge temps... can get very very hot in that intake manifold.
Turbocharger Compressor Calculations

Good idea to get this book Maximum Boost Corky Bell does a great job of explaining everything right down to final testing.... and he won't blow you away with the calculation stuff.

thanks gary, that exhaust can be mighty frustrating. As far as small turbo, from riding the bike, it seemed like a decent fit, maybe on the big side. The turbo started to spool about 5K and at 6K hit 8 psi of boost, in the diesel world you can tell alot about the size of a turbo by when it spools, and I was thinking it was alright. I will play with those calculations tonight and see what I can come up with. Just hope that turbo will work at 8psi, because to change to another one would require major reworking.

Robert, Very good and will probably be just fine! Just something to keep in mind. If I have some time tonight I will scan a few pages of the test section of that book.

I appreciate any help I can get Gary. I have been doing custom stuff for awhile, but at 25 I only have so much experience. I have alot of experience with turbo's on diesels and cranking them up, but gas is a bit different to me.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your engine, but congrats on getting a turbo setup up and running all by yourself! I'd be proud as hell if I were you!

I finally got scott on the phone and he says 475 plus shipping and to not be in a big hurry he has lots of work right now still.but its not that bad a few weeks per rad is all he is talking.let me know how many.later,mike

Hey thanks Jeff, it took some time and its not running right after my el cheapo engine build so I think its going to sit until this winter and then I am going to buy a nice new charger like what you guys will be running and rebuild the motor with low comp pistons and a race cut trans.

Do any of you guys out there know if Comp turbos are made in the usa?or at least made somwwhere where they give a crap about what they build?ive been researching turbos for a 6.0 ls build and it seems more and more turbo manufacturers are outsourcing to the asian and south american countries.even garrett is having theirs built in brazil now.and have a much higher faiure rate than in the past. and turbonetics is having trouble keeping their units together too.im really tempted to go the magnum route and just say the hell with it.-at least they are cheap.i would rather just spend the money on a good unit and set it up right the first time and be done with it.thanks in advance.mike

Not sure who is doing the machining work for them? I could always ask.

Confirmed that some castings are made in Cali but even those and all the rest of the turbo is made in house in California! They have 7 CNC machines running non-stop!

Sean

Nice to know -you dont seem to hear about comp much do you?at least in my part of the world.seems like everyone wants to go with a turbonetics.thanks sean i appreciate that. mike

Is this what everyone would be satisfied with on the vent setup. Ended up just drilling a .250" hole and used our .750" spotfacer to get a flat surface. We can weld the fitting up on the actual covers (not the sample pictured).

Maybe not machined for the exact same location each time but plenty close and should work just fine.

Sean

Attachments

• Spot Faced Location for Vent Fitting.jpg
    Spot Faced Location for Vent Fitting.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Vent Fitting Closeup.jpg
    Vent Fitting Closeup.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Vent Fitting Pre Fit.jpg
    Vent Fitting Pre Fit.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 84
Is this what everyone would be satisfied with on the vent setup. Ended up just drilling a .250" hole and used our .750" spotfacer to get a flat surface. We can weld the fitting up on the actual covers (not the sample pictured).

Maybe not machined for the exact same location each time but plenty close and should work just fine.

Sean[/QUOTE Looks great i have my cover boxed up and ready to ship been busy with pregnant craziness. thanks mike

Did you see the cheap ebay radiators? They might even make a custom version for us?

Sean

Back