VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool stuff so far. I can try to remember to call Sudco and see what info I can get. on a side note. I do have a few custom made float bowl spacers for the Keihin flatslides if that kind of carb would work.

Sean

Nice, not sure if the Keihin will work. Maybe down the road you guys can try one. The HSR will work for sure so I'd like to stick with it to get you all up and running. Never messed with Keihins... do they have an accelerator pump like the Mikuni? Think the reason the HSR works so well with the turbo or anything is the way it atomizes the fuel from the get go.

My brother has a big inch S&S Harley I helped him build. The engine came with an S&S of course. He couldn't get that thing to run! Different every day, he put different ignitions in it trying to make it work and took it to all kinds of guru Harley tuners. He's a Harley guy :biglaugh: was ready to send the carb to Zippers for a thunder jet upgrade... another 300.00. Finally he listened to me and put an HSR 45 on it. The difference was night and day... the thing starts in two engine turns, sometimes less and runs like a bear now... I almost like it.

I'm a big time Mikuni fan :punk:

Yea, the Keihin does have an accelerator pump and you can even get a higher volume pump chamber which helps throttle response too. I do like Mikuni carbs but I am sure the Keihin would work. Let's go with what you know for now since you are the far more experienced expert here.

The only boost I have experience with is my 83 Yamaha Seca Turbo (factory blow through carb setup) and my procharged Camaro. Both are incredibly addicting.

Sean

Ok guys... here's the turbo we're going to use ( specs highlighted ) Sean will be dealing with Comp to get the pricing etc. There are options like a ceramic ball bearing upgrade, polishing etc. The plain bearing version is all we'll need with our project. The ceramic ball bearing version will spool up quicker if you have the money. But it's expensive

Turbo.jpg

The products we'll be using have excellent customer support and guarantee's... Very important! For the gate we'll be using a Turbosmart (38 mm) Another important feature with both products is that they can be upgraded later on. You may want to add a street boost controller... Turbosmart makes an excellent one. We won't be needing that initially, we'll set the boost manually.

Here's the link TURBOSMART

Nothing yet, waiting to hear from Gary. We have the funds lined up to get the turbo's on their way to him.

Sean

What price tag are we talking here for this and is it a complete package or do you need to change up other things to make it work? What type of gains would you expect to obtain in reality?

The "kickoff" customers are getting a pretty much cost deal which we haven't completely figured out yet. Typically I sell most of my stuff for less then retail so it's going to be about the best deal you'll find. I would speculate (A COMPLETE GUESS) somewhere in the $3000-$4000 range but it could be less or more (though I doubt seriously it will be more). We expect somewhere in the 160-180rwhp range with stock engine. This would cost you double that with an all natually aspirated engine. A lot cheaper (initially) with using nitrous but of course that's a limited power adder (meaning it only lasts so long on each charge) and will eventually cost more in the long run since you have to pay for refills. Not to mention it's harder on the system then a turbo is (you can make nitrous easier but that costs more to buy the progressive and replace worn solenoids).

Sean

I think Gary has abandoned our little forum for bigger and better things :confused2:

I don't think so, his job has him on the go and in this economy its business before hobbies. I know I've back burnered a few things to put some money in the bank.

:punk: Hey, where will the turbo be mounted? Who will do the pipe fabrication? What will the welds look like. UFO has a nice system "TURBONATOR" and the pipe work looks great. Jon says about 6 pounds of boost produces 186 RWHP on a stock engine. Is this what you have in mind? The Turbo you show in the pictures looks great, how soon are these available? Thanks, Spur

I don't think so, his job has him on the go and in this economy its business before hobbies. I know I've back burnered a few things to put some money in the bank.

I hope so. He is a great assest to our forum. Just a word or two would be appreciated so we know whats going on. He has parts of forum members who need them back and he isnt returning phone calls or emails.
I just hope all is well with him and nothing is wrong.

:punk: Hey, where will the turbo be mounted? Who will do the pipe fabrication? What will the welds look like. UFO has a nice system "TURBONATOR" and the pipe work looks great. Jon says about 6 pounds of boost produces 186 RWHP on a stock engine. Is this what you have in mind? The Turbo you show in the pictures looks great, how soon are these available? Thanks, Spur
I couldnt find the "TURBONATOR" on UFO's website.

:confused2: Just email Jon, I think he has several left for sale. Good luck, Spur

UPDATE:
I know Gary called Morley as well as myself this weekend, and he has NOT forgotten us. He has a lot on his plate right now, but this project IS going to happen this spring. Gary has been very busy and is working on about 10 different things right now, but for all of those involved with this, the wait WILL be worth it!

I'm getting my Mikuni 42mm HSR carb cleaned up and put together and it will be sent off to Gary hopefully within the week.

Just thought I would let everyone know that this project is still moving forward.

Cheers,

Jeff

Back