UFO 4/1 Dragstar: Shhhh!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great, I am going to add a supertrapp end to my UFO muffler, need to soften it up a little

I finished converting the Megaphone to a Supertrapp.

I took the Megaphone down to a local Exhaust Shop and they cut down the Megaphone for me. I suppose you could take a hacksaw to it if you are not to concerned about looks.

Drilled a couple of holes.

Packed the core.

Installed the core and added 7 discs with a closed end cap. I have no clue where I will end up in regards to the number of discs, but 7 is a starting point. Once I get the exhaust installed, I will fire it up and add a video.2013-11-20_12-12-21_596.jpg2013-11-20_12-12-10_418.jpg2013-11-20_12-11-31_666.jpg2013-11-20_11-49-45_451.jpg2013-11-20_10-58-37_196.jpg2013-11-20_10-58-07_765.jpg2013-11-20_10-50-35_162.jpg2013-11-20_10-26-47_278.jpg2013-11-20_10-07-59_707.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You did a great job and it looks really good, I wouldn't think it'd flow that well though so might take a hit on some horsepower. It looks like it came that way so great job :)

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

You did a great job and it looks really good, I wouldn't think it'd flow that well though so might take a hit on some horsepower. It looks like it came that way so great job :)

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Yah, there has to be some horsepower loss vs. straight Megaphone. I will have to find the balance between HP, Torque and Tone. I can always add more discs and an open cap if need be. My experience with open mufflers like the Megaphone is that you sacrifice Torque on the low end for HP on the high end. I prefer some Torque.

I think it will flow ok but it might put your power at a different rpm.

I know we have to get the flow right, but do you guys think the pipe of a 1700 warrior (the old huge chrome one) would flow enough for a 4-1 setup? I multiplied displacement*RPM and they're off by like a million (literally), but I'm not sure that would be the main problem. Otherwise, I'm looking at an '03 R1 pipe. The midpipe seems to be bigger, but probably not as big as my Hindle.

I did my Frankencanister based on what was easily made to adapt to my UFO 4/1 without altering the UFO midpipe. Both long canisters had an easily-modified bolt-on to-the-midpipe end, so I was able to coerce a TIG-welding friend of mine to do some work for me. I made a couple midpipe connector pieces and then a couple of hanger brackets for each canister.

I suggest you look for something similar, easily modified, and yes, it should flow at least as well as a stock exhaust, and better is best. Why build in a restriction to limit HP? The ability to go backwards to the UFO balogna-cut tip or the UFO megaphone was of paramount importance to me.

As I posted elsewhere on the subject, I got a local muffler shop to make my adapter pipe from the front canister to the midpipe, and then my TIG-welder friend welded up a steel disc to the steel adapter pipe, which then bolted to the front of either canister. There were minor differences in the plates, so it required two unique front adapters.

I suggest you don't use the Warrior canister if it doesn't meet the minimum calculation. There are enough other alternatives out there to use which will give you the flow you need and which will prove adaptable w/a minimum of fabrication.

I happened to come across some holeshot mufflers to put on my street pro 4-2. Unfortunately the standard clamps i got for wont allow the muffler to clear the shocks. Dale has some long ear clamps listed on his website that will allow the mufflers to work.

I think I'm going to try the r1 pipe. It should flow more due to the redline being enough higher even with reduced displacement.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back