valve compressor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Was just curious if any of you have fancy compressors or tools you have made for compressing the valve springs. Just looking to get a few ideas.

Nothing fancy here. Just one that looks like a big-ass "C"-clamp.
It looks like this one, Can't remember where I bought mine. It was either O'reilly's or NAPA. It was under $20

Any variation on the one Mr Shover describes will work but it does (he said stating the bleedin' obvious) need to be deep enough to span the valve head and colet and deep enough to reach over to the valve head.

A useful additional 'special' tool to protect the valve bucket guide from the compression tool can be made from an old 35 mm roll film container which are getting rarer nowadays thanks to digital photography!

Remove the bottom of the cannister 35 mm from the top and discard.
Make a strait cut top to bottom.
From the top edge of this make another cut 15 mm down and 5 mm in on both sides of the first cut and remove these pieces.

You now have a new tool that will prevent you from cocking up the bucket bore.:clapping:

I live in the fourth largest city in the US and still couldn't find anyone that had the C clamp style compressor in stock. WTF!

I jury rigged one but it really wasn't stable enough to "stay where you put it" and the collet needs to be rounded/concave so as to stay centered on the valve retainer/cap.

I ended up buying one off the interenet for $50 or so.

If someone needs to borrow it I'll be glad to send it to them. Just PM me and when you're actually ready to use it I'll send it your way.

Hey Rusty, Would you mind maybe finding me a link to one similar? The regular c clamp ones just seem like there missing something. There has to be one out there that is kinda designed for this bucket style. I do enough bike work that a proper valve spring compressor would be golden!

Hey Rusty, Would you mind maybe finding me a link to one similar? The regular c clamp ones just seem like there missing something. There has to be one out there that is kinda designed for this bucket style. I do enough bike work that a proper valve spring compressor would be golden!

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4572

It's a C clamp style that's screw adjustable on both ends with a vise grip style release lever. Once it's adjusted properly you can use the lever to partially compress and then complete the compression with the T handle.
The collet is reversible to fit different size valve retainers.

The face of the collett is concave so it mostly will stay centered on the valve retainer which is convex.
There is no inherent protection for the bucket walls other than using it carefully and properly, and in my research I never found one that had that feature and don't think it exists. I had no issues in that regard. But I like the film canister idea.
This one worked fine for me and I had no problems with it after getting the hang of how to use it.
The toughest part of the job is trying to get the keepers to stay put after placing them and when letting pressure off.
A little oil on the keepers helps them stay put.
It actually goes better if you use the t handle on the valve face end to gradually release it rather "all at once" with the release lever.

The end that goes on the valve face is just small enough to fit our exhaust valves, and has no self centering feature so you gotta make sure it's centered on the valve face when using it, a blunt tip would have been better but might damage the stellite coating on the valve if you did any adjustment from that end while under pressure.

Don't forget to give the valve stem tips a whack with with a brass drift and a small mallet to make sure the keepers are fully seated, I'd put a rag over it while doing this to make sure you don't lose parts if it does let go and goes flying. You also want to elevate the head a little while doing this so as not to smack the valve against your workbench.

i recall an old one i used in high school shop class that had a forked end that held the valve spring down. it was very easy to remove the keepers. of course it was make for automotive heads.

i recall an old one i used in high school shop class that had a forked end that held the valve spring down. it was very easy to remove the keepers. of course it was make for automotive heads.

Yeah those ones are easy to find but won't fit down in the bucket holes on our heads. I've got one of em I haven't used since college days.

Thanks for all the input guys, as always its appreciated. I cant wait to get this beast together and running. Still waiting on the 8.5:1 pistons and the 1428 chain drive case from Sean. Sean has been the best through this build and had everything needed!

Thanks for all the input guys, as always its appreciated. I cant wait to get this beast together and running. Still waiting on the 8.5:1 pistons and the 1428 chain drive case from Sean. Sean has been the best through this build and had everything needed!

Hadn't heard about this one. Are you building a turbo or blower motor?

Going to be running a turbo between 12 and 16 psi of boost, its going to be done by spring of '13 and I am hoping to dyno it at 250 horse at the rear wheel. At some point here I will start putting pictures up of the build and start a new thread. Its going to be a wicked machine I hope! Also, as far as valve spring compressors go, I just got that one off ebay today and used it to remove the valves on my other head and WOW its a very nicely designed unit. The adapters for the valve heads and springs have a machined lip on them and sit perfect on top of the valve and then the are drilled and the screw for the compressor sits in the top of the adapters so its a very snug setup that keeps the springs stable, nol worry of some ghetto contraption sliding off and parts shooting across the shop!

Going to be running a turbo between 12 and 16 psi of boost, its going to be done by spring of '13 and I am hoping to dyno it at 250 horse at the rear wheel. At some point here I will start putting pictures up of the build and start a new thread. Its going to be a wicked machine I hope! Also, as far as valve spring compressors go, I just got that one off ebay today and used it to remove the valves on my other head and WOW its a very nicely designed unit. The adapters for the valve heads and springs have a machined lip on them and sit perfect on top of the valve and then the are drilled and the screw for the compressor sits in the top of the adapters so its a very snug setup that keeps the springs stable, nol worry of some ghetto contraption sliding off and parts shooting across the shop!

Super!
Sounds like an awesome build coming our way, can't wait to hear more.

Back