Verifying float wet level

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I can find a lot of great info on how to set the float levels with the carbs off the bike and everything opened up, thanks for that everyone.

I cannot find something that shows how you can verify your work once complete and see the actual wet level. I have read somewhere that you put a clear hose on the carb and put a mark 17mm from the end of the hose and then line the end of the hose up with a casting line on the carb body.

Is this info correct?

Anyone got a photo of someone doing this or link to it? Sorry, I'm sure its here somewhere but when I did a search the word "wet" was too short to give me any hits.

You have it correct. Look "around the corner" from the slide cover and you'll see the line.

I didn't check the wet level prior to teardown. I did go in and check it on the bench while changing jets. Glad I did. All 4 were 1.000" or less. Very rich. Check out the photos. In the first pic carb on the left is stock from the factory. These carbs did not even have the brass plugs removed to access the A/F screws yet! Pic on right is the float set per the instructions on the forum here. Sorry for the shadow against the casting line but it's just too dark in the basement to get good photos.

Attachments

• DSC02295.JPG
    DSC02295.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02296.JPG
    DSC02296.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 97
You shouldn't allow the weight of the float to rest on the needle valve - that will give you a wrong reading. That's because the needle valve tip has a tiny spring that will compress a bit when the weight of the float is on it. I believe you should set it holding the carb sideways so that the float hangs from its hinge, and measuring it just as it pushes the valve close.

Last edited:
You shouldn't allow the weight of the float to rest on the needle valve - that will give you a wrong reading. That's because the needle valve tip has a tiny spring that will compress a bit when the weight of the float is on it. I believe you should set it holding the carb sideways so that the float hangs from its hinge, and measuring it just as it pushes the valve close.

I've never done it before so I don't know any better G. I checked the wet levels last night and they all appeared spot on:confused2:

I see what you are saying about the weight of the float pushing the spring in the needle valve but when it was sitting there it was not compressing the spring. Or at least it was not doing it enough for me to tell by looking at with the naked eye. I had to physically push down on the floats to make the spring compress.

I would think that if the weight of your floats were compressing this spring then the springs may be too weak to keep in service?? I really don't know. I was only able to get into these carbs because of all the tips and info from all or you guys on here! Thanks for that!

Now all I need to do is tune out my occoaional pop at hot idle and give it a test run and see how much my Morley's Jet Kit adds. I'm at 3 truns out right now on the A/F screws. I'm hoping 1/2 turn out more and I'll be good. When I was doing my synch after all the carb work it popped through the carb rather loudly two or three times. It did not happen uptil the bike was really warm though. It was almost to the point that the fan was going to come on .

Right now the floats are spot on, did the shotgun, put in 160 mains, cleaned the float bowls, stock needle with no shims. I put pretty much the same info in the muscle jet kit thread too.

Hofefully she runs right soon!

What exhaust are you running? Elevation?
Run her up into vboost range. If it breaks up round 6000....bigger mains needed.
With the stock needles you'll need big mains. :eusa_dance:

Dale #2592

What exhaust are you running? Elevation?
Run her up into vboost range. If it breaks up round 6000....bigger mains needed.
With the stock needles you'll need big mains. :eusa_dance:

Dale #2592

Marks Pipes, 1200' elev., stock motor,

carbs have 160 mains, stock needles/no shims, no drilling of slides yet, A/F screws around 3 turns out.

Synch was completed the other day. Popped thru carbs a couple times when hot. Haven't had much time with it to tune let alone ride this week.

Gonna try and get into again today. I will post my findings, good or bad in the Muscle Jet Kit thread in the new vendors section of the forum for anyone nterested in reading about my carb issues or hopefully triumphs!

hey guys. i see those marks about 1/2 way up the diaphragm side of the carb bodies. is that the line? if so, how are u guys going about getting the wet measurement? coudln't u also just use the drain line and see where gas starts coming out. hopefully a tad below that line?

maybe i should go try to find some clear line. i think the levels should be fine but might as well check while i'm here.

hey mike, also tried calling ya. if ur wondering that was the 774#. i didn't leave a message tho as i'm not 100% sure i got the # right.

Latest posts

Back