1989 Vmax Resurrection Thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. It was a lot of work but a fun process and definitely made much easier with the expertise and advice I received here.
That's good to hear. Keeping these bikes on the street will hopefully show Yamaha there's enough demand to help us have needed replacement parts available.

That's happened often enough to many riders, lubrication of it should be a regular part of your periodic maintenance. Once a year, or when you change oil, something to prevent the issue from happening. Thanks for the reminder.
Would you expand on that a bit. I assume there is bit more to it than just spraying with WD-40?

Sure, spray it on the brass shaft, and work the plunger in & out, to see that it's thoroughly lubricated. Spraying the outside may stop some incidental corrosion or oxidation, but I don't believe that's the primary concern here.

I actually removed the little rubber boot to lubricate the side stand safety switch. It was sticking (probably because it sat for 11 years). Works like a charm now.

Back