1989 Vmax Resurrection Thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 80813

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of continuing to post in my new member introduction thread, I figure I start a new thread here for anybody to follow along when you are bored and have nothing better to do.

I am working on a 1989 Vmax which last ran in 2011, there is more info about the bike in my other thread. I want to hear it run before spending major money on repairs.
Today I removed the fuel tank which was pretty easy because I was reading about it here, probably took me an hour. I tried to remove the two screws from the bottom of the gas cap in order to remove the cap........the screw heads were stripped. My fix.......I cut off the filler neck! I already ordered a weld on filler neck and a screw on cap. The fuel sending unit is also in bad shape the wire was detached. I guess that sending unit just turns on the fuel light. What exactly the reserve switch does is beyond me since there is only a single pick-up tube, I assume the switch turns the light off??

Next step is to clean the tank, weld on the new neck and then seal it. I will also remove the carburetors, give them a "superficial cleaning", just enough to hear the engine run. After that I will go the exchange route.

Thanks for everybody's help up to this point. Great forum here and I will switch my membership to supporting member.10.jpg

The resistance of the fuel sensor changes when it's not bathed in fuel. That tells the CDI ignition system to wait for the switch to 'reserve' to be thrown to resume power to the fuel pump.

I've gone the 'cut the neck off' route, but the screw removal from the gas cap saves that trauma. Too-bad yours was sporting stripped-out screw heads.

Thank you for the explanation. You are really knowledgeable and very helpful.

Cutting off the filler neck was the easiest and cheapest way. A new cap costs over $100.00, the weld-on filler neck and fuel cap costs me $40.00 and a screw on cap is a better design IMO. Based on what you tell me I will replace the sending unit.

Once I have the tank back in I will try to get it running, after that I send the carbs out for exchange, that's the plan right now.

Last edited:
Assuming your carbs were put-away wet, and have deposits caked in their small passages and brass jets, you can do a bit more to see your bike run properly. First, be ready, and take pictures, lots of pictures, every step of the way. Make sure they're in-focus and that they identify what you're doing, so you can reassemble the carburetors properly. One way to help do this is to replace whatever you're working upon, immediately, as you're removing it. That way, you show yourself exactly what you're doing, how it goes back together, and you're building muscle-memory as you reassemble things. Label parts, and use something like small baggies and masking tape with a fine-point Sharpie permanent ink pen to label parts and the baggies.

To remove the carbs, you need to disconnect the cables. I do this at the junction box, the white plastic piece where the upper throttle cables mate to the lower throttle cables. It's behind the left aluminum airhorn. Note the cable routing, take a picture so you know where the junction box is positioned, Improper replacement may cause throttle cable jamming or sticking, leading to a WFO throttle! Don't strip-out the tiny screws, and don't drop them! Some pieces of this assembly are unavailable from Yamaha. You will notice that as-long as the upper throttle cables stay attached to the twist grip, the cables at the junction box can only be reassembled in one way. Still, it's a good idea to use 4 pieces of masking tape around the cable sheaths, the jackets, to I.D. them for reassembly. After you do the removal/replacement a couple of times, it will be easy to recall what goes where, and especially if you label things. Remember my suggestion to immediately reassemble something as you take it apart, to make it easy to recall the proper method and sequence as everything is reassembled after servicing.

To remove the carbs, I use a long length large screwdriver or you can use a prybar, but be careful where you pry! Carburetors are potmetal, they are notoriously easy to break, and a careless attempt at prying can break a body! Some bodies are now listed as 'unavailable' on the Yamaha parts fiche! Once the clamps are loosened, a spritz of WD-40 at the top of the VBoost rubber donuts-to-carbs may aid you in getting them off.

You remove the 4 carburetors as a set. You split the carbs into two pairs by removing the stamped-steel brackets which look like girders. This allows access to the float bowls. One screw on each float bowl will be a 'security' screw. Three ways to address this:
  • use a Dremel to cut a screwdriver slot into the security screw so you can use a screwdriver to remove it.
  • use a straight-jaw Vise-Grips to grab the screw head, to loosen it. Replace that screw with another, many here use allen-head screws for ease of torquing on delicate carburetor bodies.
  • buy the Harbor Freight security screw bit set.
https://www.harborfreight.com/security-bit-set-33-piece-68459.html1697377874404.png

Once you're in the carburetor float bowls, remove the jet block. The two brass jets inside the passages need a narrow-head slot screwdriver to remove them. The pilot jet you will likely discover to be plugged solid with varnish and/or rust particles from a rusty gas tank. I use a pin vise, and a single strand of SS wire to gently ream-out the pilot jet hole. Do the other jet, too, after removing it.

The pilot jet w/a SS wire used to open an obstructed passageway in the jet:

1697381905464.png

Spray all the passages in the carb bodies with carb cleaner. I use an an ultrasonic bath, but carb cleaner and compressed air often will work.

The gasket under the jet block usually will tear apart when you attempt to remove the jet block after removing its screws. Once its screws are out, carefully using a pick like the ones below, to attempt to break the seal between the carb body and the jet block and its gasket, may save the gasket from tearing. I admit to saving jet block gaskets which haven't torn, in a small baggie labelled as to what bike they go to, for emergency use in the future. It stays with my carburetor stuff. The cost-effective carb gasket replacement is the K&L kit. OEM is of course, always correct, but piece-by-piece they can get expensive.

DO NOT BUY THE 'ALL FOUR CARBURETOR REBUILD KITS ON EBAY OR ELSEWHERE! They don't fit, they are substandard, and will cause you hours of grief as you attempt to make them work!

Check your 'dry' needle valve gas inlet float level. See the illustration for putting the float just at the top of the carb body's O casting. bend the tang of the float slightly to get the float in its proper position.

Some people complain about the gas inlet needle valve and its thin loop which goes over a metal piece of the float tang. "I bought a replacement kit, but it doesn't have that closed loop.' Or, " I can't get the closed loop onto the float tang and get it into the needle valve seat."

Yes, you can, if you're careful and you take your time. I usually place the needle valve into the needle valve seat, and then use a small pick or a dentist's pick to slightly remove it from the seat hole, and then carefully slip the tang into position.

1697379195048.pnghttps://www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick-and-hook-set-63697.html99 cents, sale ends today!

Don't forget those rubber corks for the jet block tunnels, they're different sizes.

Put your float bowls back on, and reassemble the carbs into a single set, using your pictures you took, and your labelled baggies and any notes you made about the disassembly.

Be sure that you get the carbs seated properly so they're fully inserted into the rubber boots of the VBoost. A smear of KY jelly or another water-soluble gel around the rubber boots inner surfaces will help the rubber boots to accept the bottoms of the carb bodies. Once fully-seated, snug their bands until you reach the snug point. If you look at the clamps, you'll notice there's a small metal tab which is a limiter on how tight you can get the clamps.

You need the air cleaner on the carbs, and that requires also ensuring the rubber donuts from the airbox to the carb tops (usually referred to as their 'bellmouths') are fully-seated. You need the resistance to airflow of the carb air cleaner for the engine to rev. You may be able to start the engine and have it idle, but without the air cleaner, an attempt to rev the engine will just make it 'blubber' and it won't rev.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/seat-those-carbs-easily.21303/
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/tricks-to-plug-the-carbs-back-in.35378/
With your cables re-connected at the junction box, ensure that your throttle is not binding, and that your throttle is smoothly operating, and returns to its 'closed' position.

Hook-up your gas line (this is a good time to match up your OEM filter at your local auto parts store and to replace it) and try starting your engine. It's always good to do this outside and away from any flammable material, or a potential source of ignition like a gas-powered water heater and to have a functional fire extinguisher nearby.

This is just to ensure that you have clean, unobstructed pilot jets and passages in the carbs, and hopefully, your bike will start and run, and rev. Since you're not doing a carb synchronization, the bike may not operate as-smoothly as it would from doing a proper synchronization, but if the passages are clear for both gas and air, you should be able to get it running.

This is not intended to be a complete carburetor overhaul, it's just a suggestion about getting your pilot jets cleaned of blockages, which will have an effect on being able to start and idle, and for low-speed operation, if those pilot jets are obstructed.

1697381278354.png

1697381302574.png
1697381388589.png

The all-important float level diagram, I think this is courtesy of dannymax:
1697381511790.png

Additional references:

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/jet-block-rubber-caps.53017/#post-532263
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/carb-kits-questions.52635/#post-528887
CaptainKyle supplied this ebay link for the K&L kits above. I have also used this supplier. K&L makes OEM parts for the Japanese bike brands.

Here is the seller I usually by from they are very dependable. Yamaha VMX12 VMAX V-Max 85-07 Basic Carburetor Repair Kit K&L18-2879 | eBay

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/carb-rebuild-kit.52488/#post-528680

Last edited:
I made some progress and got the carburetors removed. Took some photos and of the throttle cables and how they go inside the plastic box. What a stupid design, why not just two long cables??
I got everything moving on the carbs, the butterflies were sticking. The hard part was to get one seized air mixture screws to start turning.
I also changed the engine oil and filter

I made some progress and got the carburetors removed. Took some photos and of the throttle cables and how they go inside the plastic box. What a stupid design, why not just two long cables??
I got everything moving on the carbs, the butterflies were sticking. The hard part was to get one seized air mixture screws to start turning.
I also changed the engine oil and filter
The engine built 20 PSI oil pressure while cranking. A good sign.

Got my fuel tank fixed today. A friend TIG welded my new filler neck onto the tank and I treated the tank with the POR-15 fuel tank kit. My wife wasn't too happy when she found out that I had the tank in her kitchen oven. Either way, it dried the inside rather quickly.

Here you go, although I wasn't able to take a good photo of the inside of the tank. It turned out nice, I initially cleaned the tank with CLR which removed the majority of the crud and surface rust. Now it takes 96 hours for the coating to cure. No big deal since I am waiting for my carburetors and a lot of parts to arrive.
Also have to replace the valve cover gaskets because the rubber half-moons have cracks, from what I understand, that is not a fun job.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Fire-medic,

I like your signature. Perfectly describes my first motorcycle, a 1973 Kawasaki 750 H2.....that was 48 years ago. I know some say the Vmax handling lacks to be desired, I am sure it beats a H2.

I met Jerry Garcia once at a concert in '73, in Miami. I got a backstage pass, and watched the entire show from stage right. I got to meet him and shake hands with him after the show. It was his right hand, the one he's missing part of one finger.

The two-stroke triples from Kawasaki were fearsome beasts on the street in the 1970's. I had an H1, and enjoyed smoking-out H-D's as I passed 'em.

Tackled another job today and replaced the both valve cover gaskets since the carburetors are off. Wasn’t to bad of a job and went smoother than I expected after reading about some of the issues others encountered. My garage buddy was supervising the whole time.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Got my reconditioned fuel tank back in today. And yes, the fuel cap will clear the seat; and no, I am not running Diesel fuel.

Also installed a new fuel pump and filter and flushed the fuel hoses. Next, the overhauled carbs go back on and hopefully she'll run the first time since 2011.

My carb gauges should arrive Wednesday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MSE9JO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good on-ya, getting there. For the gas line from the pipe out the top of the tank, use a good long length and make a big gradual loop that directs the hose to the gas filter, you don't need a molded hose.

I was able to reuse the line from the tank to the pump. It was still pliable. Tank to carb will need to be replaced, I just get some fuel hose at the parts store, looks like 1/4 inch or, I guess 6mm for a metric bike.

Question. From what I understand, when you switch to reserve it makes the pump run longer, helping to prime the carburetors......is that correct?

I don't like the 1/4" fuel line form the auto parts store. It is stiff and hard to get over the barbs/nipples. It makes rubber crumbs inside when the barbs bite into it, and the crumbs get into the carbs. It needs big clamps because the OD is big.

I like the stuff like OEM. I imagine it's nitrile, but I don't really know for sure what material it is made from. It is stretchy and it goes over the barbs and comes off easily.

I find the the best dimensions are 7mm ID and 9mm OD, but it not so easy to find.

You can bulk line from Yamaha OEM.

i will try the local Honda dealer, maybe they have the correct 7mm fuel hose in bulk. My other choice would be to reuse the existing hose, but the previous owner added another fuel filter between pumps and carb.

The local Honda dealer tried to sell me some clear fuel line, I passed on that and went to NAPA and bought regular reinforced fuel hose and spring-loaded clamps. Got the rebuilt/cleaned carburetors installed, the throttle cables took a few tries to get them routed correctly (they were removed when I got the bike), luckily there are great diagram on how to route everything in the OEM manual.

What should have been the easiest part of the job, just about kicked my a$$, installing the air filter box. After about an hour I got it on. I guess the main problem are the boots/velocity stacks, they are really hard. I will have to remove again because the breather hose at the bottom slipped off. It will be much easier the next time because I just ordered new OEM boots which will be pliable.

Question. There are two breather hose connections at the bottom of the box, where is the front, smaller hose coming from? I can't find it and neither the small or large hose are shown in the parts fiche from what I can see.

Also replaced the handlebar with one that is a little wider and taller, OEM cables, wiring and hydraulic hoses where long enough, just needed some rerouting. Feels much better IMO. Also bought some black mirrors to match.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314885070730
Will post some photos tomorrow.

Good day today.....the Vmax is alive! Finished installing the airbox and put the electrical components back together. I had to use jumper cables because the battery is weak. Anyway, after cycling the ignition twice to prime the carbs, she fired right up. At first there was a lot of smoke from the exhaust because I did spray a lot of penetrating oil in each cylinder right after buying the bike. By the time the engine was warmed up the smoke was gone. I drove around our subdivision, about 3 miles. The transmission shifts good and overall, the bike drives good from what I can tell.

It does need a new clutch because it slips bad, especially when the V-Boost kicks in (that's a lot of fun). When I initially open the throttle fast there is a slight hesitation, I haven't synced the carbs yet to my bike though. There is also a little clunking from the front end, might be the steering head bearings. No big deal because next I replace the upper fork tubes (pitted) and seals.....a good time to check the bearings. No leaks either, besides the fork seals.

I like to give special thanks to @CaptainKyle who did a great job rebuilding my crusty carbs!

Lastly, I have some "mystery parts" and I have no clue where they go since, I didn't take them off, photo is attached. Hopefully my video uploads.

Attachments

• Mystery Parts.jpg
    Mystery Parts.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax is alive.MOV
    4.6 MB
Back