Vmax recommended RPM

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adi.barda

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
Kind of silly question - But still I'm curious to know what is the best RPM to ride the Vmax for keeping the engine in good shape. What is considered "hard" for the engine and will make its life shorter? I usually ride at 6000-7000 RPM...

Thanks!

Adi

my logic is the harder you ride it, the more frequent you should be doing oil changes and filter checks. i think the motor is pretty well engineered but its only as good as the guy who looks after it.

peace,
evan...

Mine hits 9500 quite often,the way I look at it is thats what its ment for if I wanted a slow bike I would have bought one.

I'd say something between 1000 and 9500 (8500 on restricted versions) would do the trick. Just don't rev it on cold engine and you are good to go...

Honestly. When I am driving down the highway, I am around 4k. That being said, it doesnt mean I never ride it like the racer it is.

Mine finds it way between 4 & 6 just cruising.......all above 6k when having too much fun.

an excellent mechanic friend of mine said: "optimum engine speed is 2/3 of max rpm".

So with the vmax's 9,500rpm redline, that would be 6,333.33

Now, as the vboost starts opening at 5,750, I think you'll find it hard to keep just over 6k!

When in doubt, look at the speed limit :confused2:

my logic is the harder you ride it, the more frequent you should be doing oil changes and filter checks. evan...
It depends on your riding style, looking for mpg, top gear and speed limits keeping out of the top power band but not very fun. But if you having fun and pushing on it. I normally change out about upper 8's to 9k to keep in the power band and we are having fun then. But it is how you want to ride and where your riding. But just remember to check your ride out if you having lots of fun you do not want to find out how unfun sitting on the side of a road somewhere. I think it was build to do what it can do and ride as the traffic and roads permit. Be safe and enjoy.

Mine hits 9500 quite often,the way I look at it is thats what its ment for if I wanted a slow bike I would have bought one.

+1.

Ride it like you stole it ... and fix when broken.

All of my bikes spend the vast majority of their time in the low RPMs because most the time I am at a normal cruising speed. But they all visit the very high RPM range because ... well, how else are you gonna get to cruising speed? :^)

On a practical matter though, your optimal shift point will nearly always be prior to the limiter or the point at which it just won't increase RPMs (e.g., fuel issues, engine explodes, whatever) because power will begin to fall off at some point (e.g., the power curve probably looks like a squiggly bell curve). Try to shift at the peak of that curve if you are really trying to goose it. But that said, the peak is going to be at a pretty high RPM; somewhere that you certainly wouldn't want to be for long periods of time.

Or, you could buy a grandma's bike and keep her in the low 2K so as to ensure a long and fruitful service life. But that sounds really boring.

[[If you need a reference for a grandma bike, then let me know. I zoom passed loads of them on my daily commute.]]

Problem with my Max is that it is fun to ride only on high revs (>6000). I find myself riding fast (too fast) all the time. I really consider buying a "grandma" bike to enjoy the lower RPM something like BMW GS 1200 otherwise I'm going to loose my license :)

I really consider buying a "grandma" bike to enjoy the lower RPM something like BMW GS 1200 otherwise I'm going to loose my license :)

Haha ... that's not a bad idea.

I've sometimes wondered what its like to putt around on a super noisy bike with little tassles and gigantic handlebars ... at a max speed of 30mph. These guys are all over the place up here. Most of the roads are 45mph and these dudes go 30 ... along with the *actual grandmas* in their old gremlins.

Ugh. It's kind of an Oregon thing. Folks just LOVE to drive 20 under the speed limit like it make them a better human or something.

Phew ... I'm getting off topic fast!

Geek, you made me lough so much :) Maybe it's not a bad idea to take my actual grandma and ride 20 under speed - she will never forget it LOL.
But seriously - I don't have a single ride in which I don't pass the speed limit in ~50MPH this is because there is no fun riding the max on 3000-4000 rpm - there is simply no power in that ranges

Problem with my Max is that it is fun to ride only on high revs (>6000). I find myself riding fast (too fast) all the time. I really consider buying a "grandma" bike to enjoy the lower RPM something like BMW GS 1200 otherwise I'm going to loose my license :)
You have it right, "too fast" is when you are out of control or riding above the bikes (or riders) limits. Or unless it's by a policemans definition!
I try to never ride "too fast" but occasionally find myself pushing into the edge, but it is good to know where the "too fast" edge is. :punk:

You have it right, "too fast" is when you are out of control or riding above the bikes (or riders) limits. Or unless it's by a policemans definition!
I try to never ride "too fast" but occasionally find myself pushing into the edge, but it is good to know where the "too fast" edge is. :punk:
+1 Brian. And, it's different for everybody. The bike has limitations and the rider does too. I followed and trusted my cousin into an unknown sweeper many years ago, on a similiar bike. Both on old BMW Boxers that handeled well. He went through the turn without a hitch. I went off the road, just managed to keep it upright. More than one lesson learned that day.
Steve-o

My experience says if it's fast enough and you know how to ride and where to ride, they aint gonna catch you anyway!!!!! Sorry for any coppers on this site but I like to play and it may surprise you to know that I have a crystal clean driving record. Oh NO, probably just jinxed myself. Strike that, I always obey the speed limit, LOL!

Back