Long time rider thinking of purchasing a old Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

55CID

Reaction score
Long story short I have had motorcycles first a 1991 SUZUKI GSXR750 I completely rebuilt stretched lowered all black with silver and made the engine a 907cc back cut gears it was beautiful until I had a accident witch removed my left leg in 2004 I bought a 1985 GS1150 drag bike like my last one next and used my hand like a suicide shifter then i had a 1999 GSXR 750 lowered and stretched with a 2001 rear tail section because the 99 was ugly with a electric pingel shifter on it. if you notested I cant stop modifying my bikes for speed and poweR at a point in my life where i think because i keep modifying my others and cant ride them I really want to ride again and i want a older Vmax black and silver one not to far from me was in palatine IL it was beautiful and was said to ba about 100 lbs with the modifications too it had lots of mods one was wheels and a chain drive conversion but it seems someone already bought it dam it ! there is another for 3500 an hour away Im a mechanic and fabricator but honestly if i get one of these I Need to know there weak points what to look for anything in particular ? I also want to lower it if i need to I have to because of my prosthetic leg it helps me stay steady stooped any one have any pointers i should look out for i need some excitement in my life again but don't want another project! my name is Scott and im on north side of chicago I have many motorcycles if anyone may want or` is interested in a partial trade I have a 1978 Suzuki GT550 triple two stroke all are projects bikes but i need to feel that rush again bad Thanks GUYS! my truck also brok so Im kinda usueing this as a excuse

Last edited:
Second gear jumping out of engagement, charging system issues (stator, R/R, dirty contacts, weak battery), leaky fork seals, worn-out/old tires, dirty carburetors (pilot jets clog easily, they're small openings), rusty gas tank (cheaply fixed with ~6% cleaning vinegar, electrolysis, or $$ Evaporust); hydraulic clutch system needing flush/rebuild & same for f & r brakes, new HH compound front pads recommended; worn-out clutch (go w/OEM friction discs). Progressive Suspension has a fork spring set you can lower internally 1 or 2"; rear shocks are 13" O.C. eyes, you can lower w/another pair of shocks up to 1-1/2" but you lose ground clearance, a limit of 1" is better.

I spoke w/the seller in Algonquin IL about his VMaxes he had for sale (one was chain-drive).

Lots of info here, and here's a factory manual if you buy something you'll need one.

https://dn790009.ca.archive.org/0/i...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf

Long story short I have had motorcycles first a 1991 SUZUKI GSXR750 I completely rebuilt stretched lowered all black with silver and made the engine a 907cc back cut gears it was beautiful until I had a accident witch removed my left leg in 2004 I bought a 1985 GS1150 drag bike like my last one next and used my hand like a suicide shifter then i had a 1999 GSXR 750 lowered and stretched with a 2001 rear tail section because the 99 was ugly with a electric pingel shifter on it. if you notested I cant stop modifying my bikes for speed and poweR at a point in my life where i think because i keep modifying my others and cant ride them I really want to ride again and i want a older Vmax black and silver one not to far from me was in palatine IL it was beautiful and was said to ba about 100 lbs with the modifications too it had lots of mods one was wheels and a chain drive conversion but it seems someone already bought it dam it ! there is another for 3500 an hour away Im a mechanic and fabricator but honestly if i get one of these I Need to know there weak points what to look for anything in particular ? I also want to lower it if i need to I have to because of my prosthetic leg it helps me stay steady stooped any one have any pointers i should look out for i need some excitement in my life again but don't want another project! my name is Scott and im on north side of chicago I have many motorcycles if anyone may want or` is interested in a partial trade I have a 1978 Suzuki GT550 triple two stroke all are projects bikes but i need to feel that rush again bad Thanks GUYS! my truck also brok so Im kinda usueing this as a excuse
I know this is a little late but I thought my .02 wasn't needed so that's why I'm replying ! So first question have you got a vm yet? If not have u started riding anything yet or your just shopping for speed ? If you are picking a vm to start out on then let me give a few sugestions. First your already a leg up on the reg amputee because ur a fab person (pun intinded) Next make sure you get it as low as possible ! Next ur gonna have to modify the kick stand to not lean to far though cause pulling it off the stand is your first challenge Next get u a crash bar that sticks out a good ways, I used an old gold wing, next unless u buy an elect drag race shift then you can take a solid rod and find a pipe that it fits snuggly outside the rod, now there is just enough space to put the two pcs below the shaft now find you some small c clamps like muffler clamps to hold your pipe in place now take the shifter linkage and make it attach to your rod . You may have to weld an ext on the shift adjust rod . Now find u another shifter and weld it to the other end of yhe rod . Now u will need to take off the right peg cause ur new right sided shifter will be working from your rear passenger peg and it will shift backwards and that peg will be in the way of you getting to the brake. So u will need a pvc pipe to push your kickstand up and down and to get in gear from neutral , Now comes the tricky part, Oh no what happens if i lean to far and cant recover?? well its gonna happen just remember it can only fall one way and when it falls u aint gotta worry about your leg gettin hurt , just sit on the bike with that embarassed look and NOW this is where that gold wing crash bar comes in cause it won't let the bike go so far that u won't be able to get it back up now your ready to ride u got that over with and remember your only handicapped for about the first few inches once u r rollin u r as good as ever so ur only going to be a danger to yourself during the stop and take off inches !! Oh yeah watch out for harleys leakin oil at the redlights lmao good luck

oh sorry i bet i sound like a d%&$@#$% cause i forgot to mention i lost my left leg above the knee from an oncoming car turned in the side of me with no ins so i know what u mean by missing the thrill it took alot to get it to ride again but i started on a honda ruckus (when no one was around) and now though u should see the looks i get at red lights and i always wonder are they lookin at the max or the guy with no leg ridin it lmao

now you figure a way to afford to get it to ya cause i'm in tx and i'll sell ya one of mine

It is an addiction, you will want this and that and find stuff over seas that you buy… next think you know the deliveries will come and you will be like what the!!!!! HEAVEN 😅 then almost 20 years goes by and you have what I have.. always fun to work on and watch people’s faces when you tell them your bike is 35 yrs old. It is classic

Back