Wanna see some carbon buildup?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
114499d1221774537-pic-carbon-build-up-beth-bike-072.jpg

Ok so the Mrs bought a 2007 GSXR750 brand new and its still less than a year old and it wouldn't start the other day. Every last bit of maintenance has been performed on time and the bike has been babied from day one...So, we opt to put in the shop to figure out whats wrong. Well the shop called today and informed us that it was going to cost $1100 to fix her ride! Yep, and the worst part is we were told this won't be covered under warranty... In the 37 years I've been riding I've never, ever heard of this happening to a new motorcycle ever. Apparently, her bike had carbon build up so bad on all four cylinders it prevented the valves from seating , which prevented the bike from starting.... Less than 30lbs per cylinder I'm told. Mechanic thinks its fuel related, wtf... I buy my gas at the same pumps as the wife for all my bikes and never had this problem.

GSXR750 down, dealer says, "No!"

Battle rages on

Yikes, mebbe babying bikes around isn't such a good idea?

That's my guess, improperly broken in. Either redlined to much or babied way too much.

That's my guess, improperly broken in. Either redlined to much or babied way too much.

Might end up being the result of someone actually sort of implementing those ridiculous shift points printed in the owner's manual. Perhaps there should be a recommendation to go out and hang your bike on the rev limiter every so often...

Dan-o, I'm talking during initial break-in. If you rev too high or don't differentiate your rpms during breaking the rings won't seal properly. Compression goes down and oil consumption up. If you lack compression mixture won't ignite efficiently leading to carbon buildup. IMHO.

Dan-o, I'm talking during initial break-in. If you rev too high or don't differentiate your rpms during breaking the rings won't seal properly. Compression goes down and oil consumption up. If you lack compression mixture won't ignite efficiently leading to carbon buildup. IMHO.

Thanks Mark- That makes sense. Prolly can't tell, but I've not broken in many new motorcycles. And that's not looking to change anytime soon. :biglaugh:

dan-o

I hear ya Dan-o. I've never had a new bike. I'm still on my first.

Back