What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's been written of before (getting a key made when you have no key), but I removed my 1986 ignition switch bracket, and there was the code for the key. I took it to Lee's Bike Sop, a locksmith on US 1 in Hollywood Beach FL and got two keys made for $19.

The code was in the position where the blue tape is.

The backdrop for the shot was a near-identical bike to one I almost bought for my first 'big' bike, a BSA Rocket III, The bike cover is of a Triumph Trident, both are 750 cc triples, and for about three months, they were the fastest stock bikes you could buy. Then Honda released the SOHC 750... . It was the spring of 1972, the bike was owned by a US Army member who was in Vietnam, he wrote home and told his parents, "sell the bike, if I make it home, I'll buy another." I test rode it, it ran great, but I decided to ride an enduro and ride off-road w/my friends who had either two-stroke enduro or motocross bikes, or Honda scramblers. I bought my first new bike, a Yamaha 360 Enduro.

As for the 'thingamajig,' or crown cover, isn't it's function as the front turn signal carrier? I think H-D calls it the 'eyebrow' or something, that little visor over a Sportster headlight.

Attachments

• ignition lock.JPG
    ignition lock.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 103
I just arrived home from a somewhat zany (mostly weather driven...mostly!) trip around the U.P. over the last 3 days.
As promised, not a lot of pictures, since I really dislike stopping just to take picture!

Miles, you may remember the dirt road section of our ride (in the SUV) back from Pictured Rocks on that rainy day when you were here. The road was dry but the chatter bumps treated poor Redbone to a bolt loosening ride for 12 miles! Pictures 5/6 is of National Mine near Negaunee, MI., the scope of the mining operations are mind boggling!
I remember the dirt section , as well as the whole trip (thanks again for the great hospitality). The U.P. has lots to offer for scenery. Those southern Michiganders should plan one of their "hooligan" rides in your territory! Are they afraid to cross that big-ass bridge?:biglaugh:
Cheers!

R.E. post #9528: Yes to the year, what's the model designation? I bought a 360 Enduro the same year from a MI Yamaha dealer (I still have it). My older brother had a year prior R5 that was a lot of fun to ride, a real wheelie machine! I also had a H1 Kawasaki triple when he had the R5, another wheelie machine.

Well I can't read the size on the side cover but it's either a RD350 or RD250.

Dave

I just arrived home from a somewhat zany (mostly weather driven...mostly!) trip around the U.P. over the last 3 days.
As promised, not a lot of pictures, since I really dislike stopping just to take picture!

Miles, you may remember the dirt road section of our ride (in the SUV) back from Pictured Rocks on that rainy day when you were here. The road was dry but the chatter bumps treated poor Redbone to a bolt loosening ride for 12 miles! Pictures 5/6 is of National Mine near Negaunee, MI., the scope of the mining operations are mind boggling!

I remember the dirt section , as well as the whole trip (thanks again for the great hospitality). The U.P. has lots to offer for scenery. Those southern Michiganders should plan one of their "hooligan" rides in your territory! Are they afraid to cross that big-ass bridge?:biglaugh:
Cheers!
They don't let us Trolls out from under the bridge Miles :biglaugh:

Scored some louvered radiator covers off of flea bay. If they look right to me and fit right theyll be getting a powder coating this winter.

Picked up the voodoo exhaust with shorties at noon thirtyish, got home about 1, boiled some eggs, put the exhaust on, took three hours, nothing broke, I am thoroughly impressed with the way this thing sounds, hope the police are not, cannot wait till the rain stops, my granddaughter, took care of the hardware in the tight places.

Had a slightly insane moment. Switched out the 17 inch rim for a 15 inch item. Partly to satisfy curiosity about something stated about the seventeen rim, partly so I can properly clean the wheel better without working around the rotor, partly to see the difference in handling and also so that I can do some pics tomorrow with the bike looking near standard. Near ish anyway

Attachments

• IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Had to put the big window on today, starting to get chilly

Attachments

• 20150930_124107.jpg
    20150930_124107.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 30
My pool's still 88* F.

Had to put the big window on today, starting to get chilly

ClickHandler.ashx

I wish i had done a before and after of todays little job. Since buying the bike the downpipes have looked tired, pitted and not good. General washing didnt do a thing to improve the looks. I had figured the exhausts life hanging down there and getting battered by crap off the wheel had seen off their best days.

But today, after deciding to spend some time on cleaning the exhaust up a bit with something more aggressive than soapy water, I found that the pipes are still good. Shining pretty close to a new look. I have no idea what the grimy crud was that was making them look so bad, but it took very little time to get them looking good. I am kind of annoyed at myself that I left it so long before doing it now, but I had convinced myself it would have been a waste of time. Good to be wrong occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_4971.jpg
    IMG_4971.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 26
I dunno if 'Manchester' is in NH or the UK, or? The pipes cleaned up well.

If you're in the USA, go to HFT (Harbor Freight Tools) and buy a soda blaster, not expensive, and they will make chrome parts look great w/very little work. A bit messy, but the soda does a great job of getting dirt or corrosion in any pitting, out. A compressor is required of course. If you have no pitting, the chrome will emerge looking like you had it on the Baldor machine.
http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-portable-soda-blaster-60801.html
image_22911.jpg

With a 20% off coupon, it should be ~$112 w/tax extra. This is the 40 lb unit, they have a 15 lb. unit for $100 before any discount.

I wish i had done a before and after of todays little job. Since buying the bike the downpipes have looked tired, pitted and not good. General washing didnt do a thing to improve the looks. I had figured the exhausts life hanging down there and getting battered by crap off the wheel had seen off their best days.

But today, after deciding to spend some time on cleaning the exhaust up a bit with something more aggressive than soapy water, I found that the pipes are still good. Shining pretty close to a new look. I have no idea what the grimy crud was that was making them look so bad, but it took very little time to get them looking good. I am kind of annoyed at myself that I left it so long before doing it now, but I had convinced myself it would have been a waste of time. Good to be wrong occasionally.

I dunno if 'Manchester' is in NH or the UK, or? The pipes cleaned up well.

If you're in the USA, go to HFT (Harbor Freight Tools) and buy a soda blaster, not expensive, and they will make chrome parts look great w/very little work. A bit messy, but the soda does a great job of getting dirt or corrosion in any pitting, out. A compressor is required of course. If you have no pitting, the chrome will emerge looking like you had it on the Baldor machine.
http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-portable-soda-blaster-60801.html
image_22911.jpg

With a 20% off coupon, it should be ~$112 w/tax extra. This is the 40 lb unit, they have a 15 lb. unit for $100 before any discount.

He's in the UK.
Diet coke and aluminium foil on chrome- no lucozade or irn bru--note the extra "I" in aluminum so he would know what i'm taking about--:rofl_200:

bike started to have problems again, dying during riding after closing the choke. With normal engine temperature and after one week stopped.

Latest posts

Back