What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I chopped up my air box and epoxied a channel that was removed and cleaned my filter. I'm hoping with some of the simple material removal there will be gains on how the bike breathes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope it helps But in most cases altering the stock air box causes a stock jetted Vmax to run worse not better.

Thanks for that bit of info. If she runs like crap I'll know why right away lol. So if it were jetted it could run better after air box alterations?

Thanks for that bit of info. If she runs like crap I'll know why right away lol. So if it were jetted it could run better after air box alterations?

Not usually.
The only stock air box mod that has been proven to help at all is shimming the Y up a bit.
\With stock exhaust (or slip-ons) the stock air box with 150 (or possibly 147.5) Mikuni Main Jets can help though.
My 2000is stock jetted with Supertrapps and my brothers friend removed the Y and then replaced it but with holes drilled in it and it ran wore than when stock.
I run it now with the stock air box, a K&N filter and stock jets and it runs slightly rich but did 118-119 RWHP on 3 different dyno's.
I plan on installing 150 mains to lean it out a tad.

Oh well that's the area I modified. I didn't drill any holes or anything, I removed the mold cavity in the y and enlarged the internal opening a little bit. I'll post a few pics if it don't run like shit

It was water pump time again. I didn't want any problems and started seeing some coolant drops out of the weep hole. The seal was wiped out, and the bearing sloppy. It seems 25k to be the life span of the seal for my 89. Advanced AUTO has an awesome deal on Stage 7, K& N filters. Under $100 with coupons and the TRT30 code. I couldn't resist.
Steve-o

Not usually.
The only stock air box mod that has been proven to help at all is shimming the Y up a bit.
\With stock exhaust (or slip-ons) the stock air box with 150 (or possibly 147.5) Mikuni Main Jets can help though.
My 2000is stock jetted with Supertrapps and my brothers friend removed the Y and then replaced it but with holes drilled in it and it ran wore than when stock.
I run it now with the stock air box, a K&N filter and stock jets and it runs slightly rich but did 118-119 RWHP on 3 different dyno's.
I plan on installing 150 mains to lean it out a tad.

+1 on the Y shimmed up mod. I shimmed & trimmed my own and made decent hp that way, with 150 mains and stock needles, and full exhaust. From there, I went stage 7. Then this year I went for torque and put the air box back on but hogged the lid into the shape of the stock air filter. The stage 7 parts are still installed with some very short diaphram springs. 80 t Lbs is the goal.
Steve-o

HAD TO DROP MY MAX onto a soft shoulder today? I am looking for a shift lever! Adjustment link, maybe a bracket, the lever is curled around like a pretzel. The shaft is bent abuut ten degrees.

So, tell me how to get the shaft out

Sorry to hear about your incident, glad you're OK. Someone here with provide you with the info you need.

Doug

Just went for a ride enjoying an nice 82 degree in GA. Nothing special, but riding my Max makes everything special.

Tweaked my suspension a bit and got out for a shakedown cruise in some twisties. The old girl handles beyond expectations. nothing to do but ride her. Bought new plugs, but when they are running great, I like to leave them be.
Steve-o

Replaced my ugly , almost stripped carb cover screws with 16 new stainless he head bolts.

(Thanks Cap'n)

:)

And 'started ' removing rear fender/ taillight assy, to FINALLY put on my new plastics and cbr taillight.

T $

KJ,
If I ever get back up to AK (I have family in Anchorage, Kenai and Homer) I really need to come by and see your Max in person.
You've done a great job on it and I've watched your posts and seen it transition from almost stock to it's current bagger like state.

Wet sanded my frame stiffeners in the shower after work (yes, you read that right, lol. Its the best way I have for wet sanding). If the weathers good tommorrow, ill get a couple more coats of primer on before work and sand again tomorrow night. Hopefully going to pick up some black paint this weekend so i can start the color coats next week.

I took my 7yr old daughter for her first ride today. She's been measuring herself for almost 2 years and can finally get both her feet on the foot pegs. So I geared her up and took her for her first ride, about 2 miles. The whole ride she howled at me to go faster. I rolled into the throttle pretty hard twice and all I could hear was her laughing and then yelling at me to do it again. When we stopped she begged me for more. That kid is perfect.

I took my 7yr old daughter for her first ride today. She's been measuring herself for almost 2 years and can finally get both her feet on the foot pegs. So I geared her up and took her for her first ride, about 2 miles. The whole ride she howled at me to go faster. I rolled into the throttle pretty hard twice and all I could hear was her laughing and then yelling at me to do it again. When we stopped she begged me for more. That kid is perfect.

That's perfect:punk: That's why I got a sissy bar. Just for my kids to ride.

Latest posts

Back