What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pushed it 1.5 miles to the gas station!
Had suspected the reserve light and switch was no longer working so I just relied on the trip meter. About 85 miles a tank is my average. Thought I could make it, but ran out at 83 miles. Flicking the switch to reserve had no effect.
This will be my next bike related project. Fix the reserve system then maybe mount a small spare fuel cylinder...

Sounds pretty rich! A buddy of mine only got about 85 miles before the light, his switch worked and could go about 100 miles. His fuel mixture screws were out over 4 turns. We backed them off to 2 turns and he started getting closer to 100 miles before the light.

Thanks for the offer. I have an old jet aircraft nitrogen bottle that I've been thinking of mounting on top the air box or two slim aircraft O2 cylinders somewhere on the frame (Neither choice plumbed - just mounted like a fire extinguisher)

Mine used to get 80-ish before reserve, I got rid of the stage 1 stuff and got some jetting going on and not only does it run insanely well now but I can get 120-ish before reserve on the country roads, a touch less for highway. 85 mi seems pretty thirsty.

I got a 3.5 gallon aux tank made to my specs from an ebay seller, if you want one made to size I'm happy to PM you his info, he did a good job and it was quite affordable. Mine mounts to the rack, I've seen these things down to around .5 gallon and some that mount directly to the frame like a little spun aluminum Jerry can. Pretty cool stuff, lots of good options.

I haven't touched the mixtures yet. That will be my second project :)

Sounds pretty rich! A buddy of mine only got about 85 miles before the light, his switch worked and could go about 100 miles. His fuel mixture screws were out over 4 turns. We backed them off to 2 turns and he started getting closer to 100 miles before the light.

L.E.D. update for the headlight shown. First thing concerns fitment, in the case of my headlight bucket Im running a clear lens set-up made by Sean. I do believe that bucket to be a little more shallow than stock but the L.E.D./ fan just fits in there. I have yet to return my H4 female side to the harness so the wiring is vary temporary but I was able to get it done and take the bike out into the alley, turn the key and WOW!...so far. Its 14 degrees here now but supposed to get near 60 tomorrow. I ll get the wiring completed for a ride when its cold and dark out for a better H.I.D. to L.E.D. comparo with pics.

Attachments

• 20161210_222931.jpg
    20161210_222931.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20161210_223003.jpg
    20161210_223003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 23
L.E.D. update for the headlight shown. First thing concerns fitment, in the case of my headlight bucket Im running a clear lens set-up made by Sean. I do believe that bucket to be a little more shallow than stock but the L.E.D./ fan just fits in there. I have yet to return my H4 female side to the harness so the wiring is vary temporary but I was able to get it done and take the bike out into the alley, turn the key and WOW!...so far. Its 14 degrees here now but supposed to get near 60 tomorrow. I ll get the wiring completed for a ride when its cold and dark out for a better H.I.D. to L.E.D. comparo with pics.

Looking forward the comparison, I love LEDs but I have yet to see one that is as a strong as an HID. I hope you have finally found the answer myself and others have been looking for.

Pushed it 1.5 miles to the gas station!
Had suspected the reserve light and switch was no longer working so I just relied on the trip meter. About 85 miles a tank is my average. Thought I could make it, but ran out at 83 miles. Flicking the switch to reserve had no effect.
This will be my next bike related project. Fix the reserve system then maybe mount a small spare fuel cylinder...
Only 85? Damn! My dad could do 160 on his, and that's with reserve.

Looks just like mine! Maybe i can get it installed today, high in the 30's so riding the Vmax is out of the question. Spent all yesterday working on the hot tub that broke as we were using it. A spade connector melted off the circuit board. It's fixed for now.

I cleaned the motor up yesterday repainted the heads and water jacket covers the rest looks pretty good so I am leaving it alone. I still need to change the crappy looking stage 7 hose out for a new one. I painted some extra body work for it today. I accidently put a little more pearl in than I wanted so it is a little different.

Attachments

• 20161213_163431.jpg
    20161213_163431.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20161213_164106.jpg
    20161213_164106.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20161215_161052.jpg
    20161215_161052.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161215_161114.jpg
    20161215_161114.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20161215_161129.jpg
    20161215_161129.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 36
I cleaned the motor up yesterday repainted the heads and water jacket covers the rest looks pretty good so I am leaving it alone. I still need to change the crappy looking stage 7 hose out for a new one. I painted some extra body work for it today. I accidently put a little more pearl in than I wanted so it is a little different.

What a nice spray booth! brings me back to doing mine in my sunroom then taking it into the door finish room in town to spray the clear coat. Thats a timeless color no doubt, looking great.

What a nice spray booth! brings me back to doing mine in my sunroom then taking it into the door finish room in town to spray the clear coat. Thats a timeless color no doubt, looking great.

Thanks for the comments ! I have been painting for years & painted plenty in conditions like you are talking about.

I even painted a Goldwing in my house in Texas after it had partially burnt & was not livable & I did not have enough room in my shed I was using at the time. LOL

I have to say I am happy to finally have a nice place to paint again. I have not had anything close to this since I worked in a shop years ago. I will have to see if I can get a picture of the paint in the sun but pearl is hard to get pictures of with out a super nice camera & knowing how to take the shots.

Now for the L.E.D. review. Two thumbs up! Excellent product!Excellent value!Total Bang for the buck here! Guys my pics dont do this light justice, I did the best I could with what I have and the weather even though it was 60 here today it had dropped enough to give my pics the halo look. As I have stated in the past, I have an aprox. 70$ Bike Master H.I.D. set-up and was/WAS totally happy with it. This 16 dollar L.E.D. is fricken AMAZING!. I would say for the 16 bucks PLEASE give it a try, do it in the 30 day return priod and you won't be out anything, well maybe return shipping if that. I noticed I was comfortable ,even more relaxed on my test ride because I wasn't out running the beam. We have terrible streets here, pot holes that can and do tear-up vehicles, and are plain dangerous on a bike. Tonight I could see the road clearly, could avoid the craters and bomb down the road like it was daylight! Time will tell about durability and that time is 90 plus long cold days away. I haven't seen any reviews on this bulb relating to bike use yet however I will post to the site some "Bright" reviews.

Attachments

• 20161215_194709.jpg
    20161215_194709.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20161215_194740.jpg
    20161215_194740.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20161215_185848.jpg
    20161215_185848.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20161215_185855.jpg
    20161215_185855.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20161215_192227.jpg
    20161215_192227.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20161215_192237.jpg
    20161215_192237.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20161215_192732.jpg
    20161215_192732.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20161210_222931.jpg
    20161210_222931.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20161210_223003.jpg
    20161210_223003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 29
I like the pearl! Great color choice.

i also installed a led buld and i love it.
i have the 55w variation.
cruising with other bikes that have halogen lights makes them look like they have daylights lol

I like the pearl! Great color choice.

Thanks ! I am not actually a fan of red but I knew I was not keeping this bike & I had left over paint from a 1964 Vespa I done so I spiced it up a little with the pearl. I am not positive but I think I might go ahead & do the bottom half of the scoops & the letters still a little indecisive though.

Put air in my rear tire, started it up, and actually rode it across the patio a few times so I could move it around a bit. I might actually go for a real ride tomorrow (today) to get gas and what not.

I finally installed the LED bulb, took me about 3 hours! First off no instructions, how hard can this be? That took 30 minutes to figure out the spring loaded plate that has a locking slot connection the size of a pin head. Man I wish I could still see. The color Black is a real problem for me when I am trying to figure something out. All is good, until I decide to adjust the headlight, as I now have a great view of the tree tops. Not sure what is out of alignment but the headlight is set to it's lowest and the beam is almost to the top of my garage door. I used washers to shim the headlight bucket down. It was a bit of a challenge. Its still a little high but I think close enough to avoid constant flashing from oncoming traffic and I rarely ride in the dark. Seems pretty bright in the garage, super white color! 25 degrees here this morning, to cold for me to ride.

I finally installed the LED bulb, took me about 3 hours! First off no instructions, how hard can this be? That took 30 minutes to figure out the spring loaded plate that has a locking slot connection the size of a pin head. Man I wish I could still see. The color Black is a real problem for me when I am trying to figure something out. All is good, until I decide to adjust the headlight, as I now have a great view of the tree tops. Not sure what is out of alignment but the headlight is set to it's lowest and the beam is almost to the top of my garage door. I used washers to shim the headlight bucket down. It was a bit of a challenge. Its still a little high but I think close enough to avoid constant flashing from oncoming traffic and I rarely ride in the dark. Seems pretty bright in the garage, super white color! 25 degrees here this morning, to cold for me to ride.

If this is the same one as above there is the probability that you put it in upside down.

Latest posts

Back