What to check for on a used VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8699

Reaction score
I'm going up to look at a '93 VMax in a few days and other than the typical things like oil/fuel leaks and damaged parts that you should always check for, is there anything specific that I should watch out for? This one looks to be in a decent shape with around 23,000 miles and the price seems decent, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I've always liked the VMax but I've never had any experience with them, any and all help is much appreciated everyone.

I'll definitely check out that thread and watch out for second gear issues, thanks fellows.

My dad always bought great running cars. He couldn't and wouldn't change a spark plug. He'd listen to the radio and walk away if teenage type music was set (like music I liked).I always told him he was just lucky, but? I always reset the stations before selling a car after that.
rofl_200.gif

When I look at a bike, are the bolts rounded off from a raggy wrench, hammer vise grip action? Does it smoke when hammered under load. 2nd gear is ok? Does it look cared for. It wasn't stored for extended periods, was it? I thought the 12k bike would be trouble free-NO. Last, bring someone that knows something about a Vmax, let them check it out, ride it if the owner is willing. He may ask for money in hand first, if he comes here!
Steve-o

Thanks for the link Max, but as far as getting someone who's familiar with these bikes, I don't know anyone that rides/ has ridden a VMax before, much less someone who specializes in them and is near me. I think for the most part I'm gonna have to rely on myself and these useful pieces of info from everyone here.

I'm super picky and here's what I'd look for:

1) Buy it from a one-owner who is, uh, "mature". If in doubt check then his driving record. :ummm: I'd refuse to buy a used bike from a dealer unless I could talk to the one-owner by phone. I'd walk away if the bike has had multiple owners.

2) Very important, check if the bike has been kept in a garage and not one with a dirt floor. Moisture kills and sun kills. Think showroom conditions ... showrooms are dry, low humidity, hard surface floor ... VMaxes deserve no less.

3) Try to ascertain how the bike was ridden in the first 10 to 15 minutes after startup. Did the owner drive gently until the bike was FULLY warmed up? I believe that cold starts and cold running creates the majority of wear on a motorized vehicle.

If #1, 2 and #3 are good then I'd probably never even have to ride it or even start it before I'd buy it. I'd even pay a premium price for it.

Treat these bikes right from the very beginning and they'll treat you right.

Last edited:
1) Buy it from a one-owner who is, uh, "mature". If in doubt check then his driving record.
uhm00000.gif
I'd refuse to buy a used bike from a dealer unless I could talk to the one-owner by phone. I'd walk away if the bike has had multiple owners.

2) Very important, check if the bike has been kept in a garage and not one with a dirt floor. Moisture kills and sun kills. Think showroom conditions ... showrooms are dry, low humidity, hard surface floor ... VMaxes deserve no less.

3) Try to ascertain how the bike was ridden in the first 10 to 15 minutes after startup. Did the owner drive gently until the bike was FULLY warmed up? I believe that cold starts and cold running creates the majority of wear on a motorized vehicle.

My Vax filled the first 2 of these three. As far as the 3rd I wasn't able to ascertain the owner's riding habits since I was buying it from the father in law at an estate sale. Overall though I would say good advice. I've had good luck with mine.

The biggest tip-off to an abused/tired engine, is smoking on a cold start. Big red flag. Why you should always feel the engine when you get somewhere to see if it's been recently run to conceal such a problem.

Also run your fingers under the rear fender or take a peek for rubber pieces. Its a good indicator on how it was ran.

Latest posts

Back