where does this go?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
so I was pulling my carbs to change the mains and I saw this on the floor.
anyone recognize it? I have no idea where it came from...

Attachments

• WP_20130630_001.jpg
    WP_20130630_001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 126
That does look like the spring that pushes the plunger in the clutch master cyl. But if its from your carbs I'm at a loss cause I don't have stock carbs.

There are small, stout, springs between the carb linkages too. That one looks a bit long to be one, but I'm not absolutely sure it isn't one.

ya could be the carb one but usually its different color. looks to bigito be the spring in rear foot peg....

bill did it drop and you heard it hit the ground or you just found it on the floor ?

how about idle screw spring.......

heavy edit.....

I swear this keypad has a mind f its own or I am heavy dyslexic.
sorry about that...wow

Last edited:
No I didn't have the clutch out Dan

I will check the foot peg and idle screw Ro, and no I didn't hear it hit the ground, I just happened to see it on the floor under the bike:confused2:

Too long for a sync or idle screw spring....the only spring that length on the carbs is at the end of the choke rod on #4 carb, but it is a considerably lighter gauge wire than that one.

I don't believe it came from the carbs Bill.

Rovic, you may want to consider using a darning needle to key in posts, them big FBI fingers are hitting two or three keys at once!! Bwahahaha :rofl_200:

As danny said it's the right length and approx diameter but far too stiff for the choke rod. It's too long and too small diameter for any of the rest of the carb linkages. It does look like the spring in the clutch lever as was mentioned and about the only thing I can think of it would be.

Sean

Looks like a fork spring for a 1:100 scale vmax. :)

That's the first thing that occurred to me Mark but it's not progressively wound! :biglaugh:

Next thing that came to mind was the spring under the throttle pull cable housing but that spring only has 9 winds, Bill's has a whopping 13!

Bill, does your wife have a Hoover vacuum cleaner? Almost seems like I saw a spring of that dia. & wire size in the cord rewind mechanism on the 4.6hp floor model #H1040....but I may be mistaken! :confused2:...........:hihi:

:biglaugh:
That's the first thing that occurred to me Mark but it's not progressively wound! :biglaugh:

Next thing that came to mind was the spring under the throttle pull cable housing but that spring only has 9 winds, Bill's has a whopping 13!

Bill, does your wife have a Hoover vacuum cleaner? Almost seems like I saw a spring of that dia. & wire size in the cord rewind mechanism on the 4.6hp floor model #H1040....but I may be mistaken! :confused2:...........:hihi:

before I pulled the bike in the shed, I cleaned the floor with a leafblower so it has to be from the bike somewhere...

I checked the hoover and we have an older model #H925 3.5hp that the cord rewind mechanism broke 11 years ago, now its a manuel rewind :Sad: so it cant be that...

I looked around and cant find where it came from for the life of me...
any other guesses?

tree trunks don't work for typing guys....holy f and I'm not even drinking

Too long for a sync or idle screw spring....the only spring that length on the carbs is at the end of the choke rod on #4 carb, but it is a considerably lighter gauge wire than that one.

I don't believe it came from the carbs Bill.

Rovic, you may want to consider using a darning needle to key in posts, them big FBI fingers are hitting two or three keys at once!! Bwahahaha :rofl_200:

yaaaaa........tooi much tech for me on this phone.....give me a carb and a screwdriver and all is right with the world.

side note v2 started up fine purr like kitten on a case of redbull hahahah
bill I don't have that spring and bike runs great bahahahha

Bump, hope you find out where it's from. I personally would start it, see if anything seems off considering all of these guesses don't seem to be getting us anywhere... Of course, there's always the possibility the previous owner replaced one of your stock springs with that thicker/longer one. Were there any previous owners on your bike? I've had that sort of thing happen to me once or twice.

ques is....y you pulling the carbs....what u up tooo

changing my main jets. low and mid range pull strong but top end struggles. I had stock mains in , thought I would try and richen it up with dj170's and see how she runs.
also did the shotgun cause lately at low rpm's it would stumble. and wouldn't you know it when I removed my a/f mixture screws I lost one of those little orings :bang head:
So I called the local stealerships and of course they don't have any in stock!

Bump, hope you find out where it's from. I personally would start it, see if anything seems off considering all of these guesses don't seem to be getting us anywhere... Of course, there's always the possibility the previous owner replaced one of your stock springs with that thicker/longer one. Were there any previous owners on your bike? I've had that sort of thing happen to me once or twice.

im the 2nd owner and I guess its possible :confused2:
anyway im going to give up on that spring, hope it wasn't important, guess I will find out...

changing my main jets. low and mid range pull strong but top end struggles. I had stock mains in , thought I would try and richen it up with dj170's and see how she runs.
also did the shotgun cause lately at low rpm's it would stumble. and wouldn't you know it when I removed my a/f mixture screws I lost one of those little orings :bang head:
So I called the local stealerships and of course they don't have any in stock!

Don't worry about the o-ring Bill, I'll get a couple in the mail to you tomorrow.

When I was a rookie firefighter, we trained w/the rookies from the adjoining FL municipality. We were packing the hose bed w/two-1000' 2-1/2" hose loads of different configurations. Then we would have one of the driver-engineers take-off in the engine, allowing the hose to pay-out of the bed, and we would re-load the hose, again and again.

There's a thick rubber gasket in-between the male and female hose ends. When you reassemble the hose, after breaking it all-apart, before you hook it all-together, you're supposed to make sure the rubber gasket is in there. You normally do that working in pairs, because that's the quickest. One firefighter holds the male end, the other the female, and checks that the gasket is intact and in the female coupling. He then screws the female to the stationary male end. Don't forget to line-up the Higbee-cuts!

So the crusty Lt. Warren, the training officer from the other dep't. is watching us work in the late spring FL heat. He shooting the breeze w/our Big Ray, our training officer. They're standing next to the tailboard, the rear of the firetruck, the platform where you stand to begin feeding the assembled hose into the hose bed, the storage area for the 2000' of hose.

We just get done loading the truck w/the 2000', and we're hoping this is the last time we're going to do this. Today.

"Rookie!" calls-out Lt. Warren. "What is that on the ground?" He is speaking to one of his guys who is by-now staring at the damning evidence, a hose gasket lying on the pavement next-to the tailboard.

"A hose gasket, sir!" comes the reply.

"Well, where did that come-from?" Lt. Warren wants to know. "Which length of hose doesn't have its gasket?"

"No-sir, I dunno," said the victim.

"Well, you better pull all that hose off the truck and break all those connections, and check every length for a hose gasket! What are you standing there for? Get busy!" Lt. Warren wasn't big on self-affirmation, empathy, and protecting tender feelings. He was a leather-lung, tough old coot who tore-up rookies for a living, re-shaping them for the fire service or driving them out the door, unable to make his grade.

I reached-down, picked-up the hose gasket, and stood in-front of Lt. Warren. He was a small man, he was the color of a brown trout pulled from a stream, and his skin was fissured like a dried mud bed, drained of water and cracked in the late summer sun.

He glowered at me, almost daring me to speak. I said, "excuse me, sir, but I think this belongs to you."

"Why do you think that hose gasket is mine?" he asked.

"Because I saw it fall-out of your pants pocket a moment-ago," I said. Big Ray began laughing, and tried to conceal it behind his big mitt of a hand. Big Ray was about 300 lbs.

Lt. Warren flushed crimson-red, and I thought I saw steam ascend from behind his starched collar. He muttered under his breath, and had to walk-away to compose himself. It was the first time I ever saw Lt. Warren at a loss for words.

The folded hose stayed in the hose bed.

Maybe one of your friend's was playing a trick on you? Or, your blowing the floor dislodged it from its resting-spot, and now it's giving you fits. It has nothing to-do w/your 'Max.:bang head:

Latest posts

Back