Wont turn over

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongHack

Reaction score
So winter was not nice to my 85, fork seal is leaking for some reason, have a coolant leak and it wont turn over.

Charged the battery and tried to start it the other day, noting but a clicking solenoid (played with it and broke the wire off the small "ignition?" post, then tried to remove the tiny nut and twisted the post right out). Anyways I bought a solenoid today and installed it, now theres no clicking and no attempt by the starter when i hit the start button.

Tried jumping the solenoid by putting a wrench across the big posts and it turns over a bit.

Checked voltage of
-battery=12 volts
-between big posts on solenoid=12volts
-small posts = .6volts with key on, 0 when i press the start button
Oil light is on when i turn the key on, cant remember if thats normal?

I have no idea what to do now:bang head:, hints please?

That sounds like the starter, try jumping it from a good hot battery, then check starter it could be bad

Have your battery checked.I had a battery once that would actually take a charge and when I hit the starter it would turn over very slow or the solenoid would click.After replacing numerous items like my starter relay and solenoid and a new ignition switch, pulling my starter and bench testing it I finally took my battery to the place I had bought it about 6 months earlier and had it tested.Guess what,it was bad! Had a bad cell or something and it caused me a ton of grief. This battery had been plugged into a battery tender when ever the bike was parked and always would indicate it was charging and fully charged. Good luck,Mike

12 volts is a low state of charge.May not be the only prob. Jump the solonoid from the small post to the large post that's wired to the batt. It'll keep you from welding your wrench and sending sparks all over.The fuel line is very close) Sounds like it's batt to me if it started ok last fall.IMHO
Steve-o

You might want to pull the plugs to make sure the cylinders aren't full of coolant or gas from a stuck carburator needle valve. (referred to as a hydralic lock).

ok i may say something stupid now... but check also for a blown fuse. when you turn the key the oil light must NOT be on. It should light when you press the start button.

I did check the fuses, there are only the two fuse boxes, 6fuses total right?

yeap you are correct. the small box is the main fuse , so if it was blown nothing would turn on when you turned the key. when you press the start button , can you hear anything clicking under the sit ??? or does the starter make any sound? if i am not wrong there is a relay under the sit and inside the left scoop which when you press the start button should make a click. check it . it may be a fault relay. i am not a mechanic but all of us who have this bike had starting problems and any info is usefull.

Thanks for the help, might need some more though.

I got it started today, boosted it from a car battery, and still had to jump the solenoid (thanks for the tip sdt, much safer)because nothing happens when I press the start button and gauges werent working?

Vmax1260, There is a single click from under the scoop when i turn the key, but nothing when i press the start button.

Is it possible for a fuse to be blown and not be able to tell, I shuffled the 10amp fuses around but it didn't have an affect.

Let's see what happens with a new battery,or known good one. Fully charge that new one to
12.6 volts Check after being off the carger fro an hr r so.

under the seat is also the starter lelay. check it also. you can try also statring your engine by connecting with a screwdriver the two coverd with plastic poles that are near the rear coils under the seat. near this poles must be and the starter relay
send a pic where the starter relay must be . there must be also two covered poles. if you turn on your key and take a screwdriver and just put it on on the polles your engine must start. if it does you may have a faulty start button or something like that

Attachments

• starter relay.jpg
    starter relay.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 28
Sound like you have the Wires reversed from the Battery. Power from Battery goes on RH Bolt and output from Solenoid on left. Dod you have these wires off when you changed the battery. This would cause the light issue and the no crank issue

The lights are supposed to go out as you push in the starter button. This means your starter button is most likely OK. Sounds like perhaps your key switch isn't energizing your starter relay? When you push the start button, and IF your key switch is on and energizing everything properly, your starter relay will then activate and apply power out to the starter. If you aren't delivering enough amperage through the main + wire from your battery over to the starter relay, and on out clear to the starter, all bets are off. Have you inspected all your wire crimps and connections?

If you have anything wrong between your key switch and the starter relay, OR if the relay itself is bad, NO STARTY.

(If you reverse the +,- terminals on the battery, your bike will roll over upside down, start and zoom off in reverse.) .....just sayin.....

Back