Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy all!!

First and foremost- I don't have a Max yet- I'm still shopping.
I've been riding for just about 20 years now- my street bike history has been the following: '84 Nighthawk S, '87 VFR700F2, '98 CBR900RR, '02 748S.
My wrists couldn't take the heaviness of the Ducati- so that was my last sport bike.

I worked as a service manager at a local Yamaha shop during college- so I can at least say I've had the pleasure of riding a few V-Maxs over the years.

I think I'm wanting an '03 or '04. The '99-'02 may be ok too- but I haven't seen the CF in person and every picture I've seen makes them all look different.
Looking forward to digging into the knowledge base available here!!

CF- carbon fiber.
The tank cover is a slightly different part number- so I'm guessing a different color in '99 and '00 vs '01 and '02.

Hello from Switzerland

After 30 years of respect and admiration I finally got myself a V-Max.
Maybe I'm finally man enough to ride one, maybe I finally realize that it's made to ride with, not only to be wanted and admired from the distance.

I got a really good deal on a '93 bike on a local auction web site. So I bought my V-Max even without seeing it live first, or having a test-drive with it.

After two weeks as a V-Maxer I don't regret. The pure power this bike puts out is endless, and acceleration is enough for every overtaking situation on the road. More power means definitely more security.

The only problem is, after two weeks of driving with my V-Max, yesterday was a rainy day and I had to drive my John Cooper Works MINI to work. I thought there was something wrong with it. Engine broken? TURBO boost out of order? No, my body has just get used to ludacrious acceleration of my V-Max. After V-Max everything else you drive feels slow.

-Circus Maximus

Hello from the great city of Houston! First real post here I'm really more of a lurker, but I wanted to say hi to everyone finally.
I have a newly aquired 88 modified Vmax that I love its a 1327 conversion with my favorite thing flatslide carbs. I also own 2 cb750's and a black bomber. Though the Vmax is clearly my favorite and by far the most ridden.
I'm new to the Houston area so I find my self getting lost amongst the busy streets. Originally from Utah sometimes I miss it as I feel Utah has the most beautiful rides and roads in the US.

I also need to say thanks to Sean Morley my one stop shop for everything Vmax or anything power related. The man clearly is the best of the best, as many of you already know. He spends hours answering my ignorant questions and always comes through no matter what. Honestly feel lucky to work with him. Not to mention Sean is an expert in customer service which is a rare quality these days.

Hello from the great city of Houston! First real post here I'm really more of a lurker, but I wanted to say hi to everyone finally.
I have a newly aquired 88 modified Vmax that I love its a 1327 conversion with my favorite thing flatslide carbs. I also own 2 cb750's and a black bomber. Though the Vmax is clearly my favorite and by far the most ridden.
I'm new to the Houston area so I find my self getting lost amongst the busy streets. Originally from Utah sometimes I miss it as I feel Utah has the most beautiful rides and roads in the US.

Welcome!
Have spent some time in Utah, both on a bike and in a car. Gotta Agree, Utah rocks!
Incredible scenery!

Attachments

• Beautiful Utah.jpg
    Beautiful Utah.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm about to pull the Vmax trigger and figured I would say hello, I go by Tony and live in the scenic Midwest.

I have been lurking for a while after accidentally stumbling on a Vmax for sale, it brought back memories of the 80s and a short blast on one when they first came out. Never did I forget about that tear jerking blur of violent acceleration,sudden prairie crosswinds, a telephone pole and just enough luck to offset acting like the reckless teenager that I was. It was difficult to enjoy my 72 CB350 after that. That day changed both my level of caution/respect for bikes, and what I knew a bike could do. I could not afford one then but thanks to a few short decades and the gen 2, I cant justify not buying it, or another one if not this one.

The funny thing is the first time I rode a big twin UAM not a year later (maybe 87) I expected it would also be blindingly fast, probably based on the ferocious bark and my youthful admiration of an American icon. My disappointment was palpable after my first big twin experience and everything I thought and wanted to believe about motorcycles was instantly turned upside down. I knew the Vmax was exceptional that day but I had no idea by what a wide margin. Even though I later owned a couple UAMs it was not long before I stepped up to BMW and Triumph against the local norms. Every time I saw a Max on the streets I was filled with that youthful neck hair standing up feeling.
So if I were to pick a bike that I could truly call iconic it has to be the Max. They are uncommonly seen and never fail to stir up the desire to own one. I did not see many even when I lived on the West Coast.

I have an apt tomorrow to view a 99 Max, all stock except jetting, 4-1 and a Corbin, but I know someone that fixes Corbins. I have every intention of striking a deal tomorrow or I will go out of state and find one. I live in HD country and the used market is saturated with them like I have never seen, they are all over the road to, like SUVs. I have never been one to bask in the mainstream for anything and in spite of prices dropping and selection skyrocketing I have no desire to buy UAM but I'm mellow enough now that a power cruiser will fit the bill nicely. The Vmax being an uncommon misfit makes it perfect choice when coupled with ample performance.

I'm grateful for this forum, I have spent a week reading and when I decided I would have a Vmax, this one or another one, now and not later,I registered. I will have some pics when the deal is done and I look forward to joining the ranks. Awesome and informative forum, I feel like an 8 yr old waiting for xmas morning.

Good Luck with your deal tomorrow caseyjones.
And welcome to the Forum.
You'll soon see we ALL love our Iconic Vmaxes here !!!

Hi my mane is Jamie, just got a new 2005 anniversary edition. Lots of good info here so i decided to join. hopefully i can find other in the colorado springs area to meet up with. i also have a 1980 honda cb900c. i attached a coople pics!

Attachments

• vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 23
  • my bike.jpg
    my bike.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to the Forum jbridge !
Nice Looking Bikes !!!

And there are a few guys here from Colorado but I have no idea exactly where they live.
You might want to start a thread and ask to see who's close to you.

They sure are sexy in red. Ill have a blk one but my first mod will be a color that can be seen by cellphone weilding idiots in traffic. Red looks great! I just got here myself but welcome anyway. Wifey and i go to co just to eat but a local vmax group there would be a kick. My wife is still unaware of my intent to purchase a max this week. Maybe well christen it with a ft collins run.

They sure are sexy in red. Ill have a blk one but my first mod will be a color that can be seen by cellphone weilding idiots in traffic. Red looks great! I just got here myself but welcome anyway. Wifey and i go to co just to eat but a local vmax group there would be a kick. My wife is still unaware of my intent to purchase a max this week. Maybe well christen it with a ft collins run.

Welcome..to you and jbridge.

You will NOT regret buying a Max...and along with that..is joining this forum... (you almost cant have a max without this forum) ;)

So many helpful and cool people here. Just awesome.

Good luck bros.

T $

I went today to see the bike. The bodywork is CF, sexy with the Kerker 4-1. I noticed solid motor mounts. He recently had it at a local powersports shop and they rejetted/synched. The bike fired up easily and was actually pretty loud. Im guessing comp baffle. Im also guessing illegally loud but so many others here ride uncorked UAMs so i should be ok.

The bike high idled ok but he said it just didnt feel right and it would not blip, and died when i eased the choke off. He wants to bring it back to have it corrected, probably under warranty. I said a number and he agreed with the number. It looks like a go. It sure would be nice to be able to sort the issue and take delivery sooner. He says it has fuel and ran great last time out. Any thoughts on what it might be from this limited info. Im inclined to be patient and wait for the issue to be fixed but ill bet its something minor.

It has under15k on the clock.
I threw a leg over it, a nearly coital experience, im beyond anxious to get my hands on this fine machine!

Hi, i'm Joachim, living in Belgium and i own an '85 vmax that i bought last year. It didn't start when i bought it so i had to do a lot of troubleshooting and searching on the internet and that is how i got here. This forum has been a really good source of info!
At the moment the bike starts fine and i can ride it but i'm hoping to find more info here because the bike still has a few issues. It dies after a hard pull and reserve light does not come on when starting.
Other than that it has devil exhausts which give it a nice deep rumble but i found some doma racing slipons that i will try this weekend. I will post some pics if you like.
For now this is my bike with the devil exhausts:
grtz

Last edited:
Hello everyone.....
Just picked up a 99 VMax 4 days ago! This is my first Vmax but my 4th street bike. I was actually looking to get a warrior but have always liked vmax's and am kind of partial to them because a long time friend of mines dad was one of the guys that designed it! His name is Ed Burke, I'm sure some of you are familiar with the name.
I already want to start changing things but promised my wife I wouldn't spend anymore money..... Don't think that's gonna last!

Back