Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I'm relatively new on this site.

I currently own 2 vmaxes, a 2006 and a 1986. In total, I've owned 3, but the 1997 vmax (my first one) was totaled when some dude decided to cut right across an intersection from the left hand turn lane, and I laid it down to keep from t-boning him. I slid for over 50 yards, and due to helmet and leathers, sustained no injuries. The bike, on the other hand, had a broken fork brace and was smashed and dented all over.

My 2006 had an accident too, a few weeks after buying it to replace the 97, when some lady ran a red light while on her cell phone and t-boned me in an intersection. Luckily, she hit the engine guard so hard that my entire bike flipped up and wound up embedded on her hood (with me still seated). Insurance totaled the bike out and let me keep it, and it still drives fine except for a slight wobble at 40mph. Once again, helmet and leathers, no injuries (and no, I don't take this for granted).

I guess the moral of this story is: make sure you wear your protective gear! I've been riding vmaxes for 15 years now, and these are the two accidents I've had. The gear made all the difference!

The 1986 was a recent rescue from some air force guy who dumped it due to engine problems. It needed a good carb cleaning, and still needs the some repairs to the vboost, but it is impressive that a nearly 30 year old machine runs as well as this one does after a simple carb cleaning.

All I have to say is that the vmax is a beautifully engineered and constructed machine, and I have loved them since my first one. Every time I consider getting a different bike, a first gen vmax pops up somewhere and I can't resist buying it instead. Maybe next time it will be a second gen, but I'll wait to hear what riders say about it. I like the 40 mpg I get on the original vmax when I'm not punching it, not sure how the 2nd gen does (I've heard 28 mpg).

Anyway, I look forward to reading member posts and learning what you guys have to teach, and maybe helping where I can.

Last edited:
Just picked up my first Max yesterday, 2006 with 11.7k miles. Rode it 145 miles to get home and loved the first 45, hated the next 100 and couldn't wait to get back on after I stopped. Mod monkey's already nibbling at me, at least for a seat, maybe exhaust, springs, who knows what else.
Live in So Cal, San Gabriel Valley area if there are in Vmax riders local pm me.

New guy here! Just brought home a 15 yesterday. Look forward to getting good info here. Thanks!

Another new guy here. Picked up a 2005 V-max Saturday with 15,335 miles on it. This will be my second V-max. I had a 1985 model about 20yrs ago. Wow that sounds strange just saying that!

Thanks, I will be needing advice on the forum about getting the V-max back to stock. Currently has stage 7 kit and ufo dragstar with megaphone on it. Oklahoma frowns on exhaust mods, so I would like to go back completely stock.

I would repack it. Which end piece do you have? The 1 1/2" will help quiet it down a little more also. But I am sure you could find someone to trade you stock for the stage 7 and ufo 4-1... I would have if I hadn't already done those mods last year...

Thanks, I will be needing advice on the forum about getting the V-max back to stock. Currently has stage 7 kit and ufo dragstar with megaphone on it. Oklahoma frowns on exhaust mods, so I would like to go back completely stock.

I'd talk to Sean Morley and see what can's he has that will fit the UFO pipe.
I'm sure he has some that will quiet your Max down a LOT.
Sean's email addy is: [email protected]

OK I need some advice on how much the UFO exhaust is worth? The previous owner said it was on there for about a yr. I also got a set of supertrapps with the vmax that I need to sell also? Not looking to make money just want a fair price, thanks. I don't want to just throw something up in the parts section that is ridiculous. Also will sell the stage 7 kit with individual air filters.

Last edited:
Hi, just picked up a 2001 v-max a few weeks ago and it's been a blast. It came with a few nice aftermarket items:
-Marks 4-1 full stainless exhaust
-max-gasser seat
-drag bar
-mini turn signals
Most of the aluminum is pitted and needs to be polished and the gas tank has some rust inside the filler neck. Other than that it's in pretty good shape. Already been reading up and starting my list of upgrades!

Hello everyone, I bought my first Vmax (also my first bike) back in April!! Gotta say this bike is definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. lol.
-All original
-Just hit 5600 miles!!
IMG_20150416_174416.jpg
IMG_20150630_153408.jpg
IMAG1355.jpg
P.S. This is the first forum I've decided to be apart of so if things don't show up properly, sorry. :confused2:

Back