2nd Gear Poll

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx all, good info for sure. What would be the best way to determine if gear is bad or on the way to being bad during a test ride. Looking at how to determine to buy used. Thx

When you hit it hard in 2nd gear...if its bad...it will pop out of gear into neutral.

Yes, when its completely done it pops out under load or won't go in at all.

The ones I've had go bad on me gave the same early warning signs every time which was popping out under decell occasionally.

WOT in 2nd, Revving it up and down while staying in 2nd, up shifting and downshifting to and across 2nd at different paces of acceleration, all should be good tests.

When my '00 started going, it would 'jump' while under load in 2nd gear, as in it felt like it would get out of gear but only for a split second. Then as it got worse it started jumping out of second into neutral - always under load. Now it's completely gone I can still short shift through second, but any load at all, even small, will make it jump to neutral.

When my '00 started going, it would 'jump' while under load in 2nd gear, as in it felt like it would get out of gear but only for a split second. Then as it got worse it started jumping out of second into neutral - always under load. Now it's completely gone I can still short shift through second, but any load at all, even small, will make it jump to neutral.

That's exactly what happened to mine too. 1993 with around 50k, replaced segments and such - no change, swapped in a "clean" 2nd hand gearbox and it was fine for another 20k until it started to jump again recently

I know it's my fault, crashing through the gears along bumpy roads while trying to avoid wearing out my clutch lever...

Anyway, I've got a 1999 motor in now so I'm starting to behave myself and shift properly

I have a 91 that i just started having 2nd gears issues under hard accelleration. 37,000 miles.
I also have a 97 with no issues so far. 20,000 miles...

2000 - 35,000 Miles - 2nd owner (1st was my brother and he only had it or one summer) No 2nd gear issues (other than my front wheel wanting to jump off the ground).

This is a great thread for a newb like me. I'm still shopping but I'm loving the info and the averages. Thanks

I purchased an 85 V-Max 2ond gear was bad at 16k had it rebuilt and undercut gears and drag raced the crap out of it for 10,000 more miles and only had to rebuild the clutch a few times. No issues when I regretfully sold it.

Back